How to test rock - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
How to test rock

I know this is a really simple question but, since I've never done it before, I dont know the answer.
How do you test a rock to see if its ok for your tank? I remember reading somewhere that you use vinegar but I dont know how much, or if there is some ratio to water. If you know, help me out please. I have an s-load of rocks around my house that I think would look great in the tank. I just dont know if their safe. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
yes you can use strait vinegar on a rock to detect CaCO3 but a better solution is to use muriatic acid (found at lows, etc.) with the lower Ph you will get a stronger reaction.

if you don't get a reaction the next step is to place it in a bucket of tank water for a week or 2 and test the TDS, Ph, and kh on a regular basis looking for a change in water chemistry. and if this comes up clean it is most likely safe for use. and if you want you can post a picture of the rocks in question and I'm sure there is a geologist or two on here that will do there best to Id the rocks

GEOLOGY Rocks Have A Gneiss Day
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Ok, cool. I'll grab a couple of the rocks, take pic, and post it. Assuming I get the acid you spoke of, what "reaction" am I looking for? Thanks again.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns286 View Post
Ok, cool. I'll grab a couple of the rocks, take pic, and post it. Assuming I get the acid you spoke of, what "reaction" am I looking for? Thanks again.
you are looking for any form of fizing.

GEOLOGY Rocks Have A Gneiss Day
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 09:23 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
When you add the hydrochloric acid to rocks containing calcium carbonate, you will notice fizzing as the carbonate is broken down into carbon dioxide.

Be careful with the hydrochloric acid; at the very least, I would recommend gloves and goggles. The fumes are also a respiratory irritant, so be careful.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I test rocks with acid works great just make sure your outside . Also I found this site pretty good stuff on it http://www.rockhounds.com/rockshop/rockkey/index.html

Filstar pimp#48

24g Aquapod 60w led Pressurized co2 paintball system DIY blacked out stand

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode