New eheim 2213 question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question New eheim 2213 question

Ok my new 2213 is arriving today for my 29g planted and replacing my Aqua clear 50. My question is where do I place the spraybar and intake in relation to eachother. I've done my research and their are a lot of differing opinions. Can someone please help. I wa just going to place the intake in one corner and the spraybar in the middle of the back glass un der the water line. But wouldn't it make more sense to place the intake in on corner and the spraybar on the opposite side wall forcing water back to the intake. ARGH!!! i have no clue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Either option is fine. It's all about creating flow in your tank. Place the spray bar in a position that will minimize stagnant water areas. This will help you in future battles with algae. It basically boils down o preference (and what looks best )
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks. I guess there's no real science to this except basic water flow

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
2213 is really low for a 29 gallon. i would atleast use a 2215.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
2213 is really low for a 29 gallon. i would atleast use a 2215.
A 2213 is plenty to filter a 29 gallon tank. Flow maybe another issue if heavily planted. If eventually that becomes an issue you can add a powerhead.

Ksaster2 ,

Your new spray bar will be to long to fit on the side of your tank. Now you can cut it down to fit. If I were you I would not do this just yet. First try placing the spraybar along the back near top. With your intake in one corner place the spraybar along back and pushed to the opposite side of the tank as much as possible.

I use to have a 2213 on a 30 gallon which has a bigger footprint I believe. There are many options you can try for flow. You can pick up extra spraybars for cheap if you place orders for other things at bigals or drfosters&smith.
Spraybars can be modified by drilling out the spraybar holes bigger ect. The possibilities are endless. You will try many eventually I am sure.

Good luck with your new filter.
It's a good one. I miss having a classic!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

THANKS riverrat. I thought the 2213 was enough filter for a 29g. I realize the gph is not that high though. I'm probably going to continue running the Aqua Clear 50 that is on the tank right now as well only I will turn it down to its lowest setting.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok got it all set up and running... a little louder hum from the filter than I thought but im very picky my GF says its ok so it must be.

Way to much flow... my fish are being blown all over. To remedy I just turned down the outflow using the control valves. Is the ok? or should i have adjust the inflow? or does it matter?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
What kind of media is in the filter? In my experience, the flow will drop a bit once the media collects some crud and clogs up a bit.

Also the flow should be less of a problem when the tank is grown in.

I'm using the same filter and I had it on a 29 and now on a 20 and the flow is fine, not too much and actually maybe a little bit too low.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I had the spray bar on the side wal blowing across the tank. I've now moved it to the back wall and angled it downward. Flow is now not a problem
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSASTER2 View Post
ok got it all set up and running... a little louder hum from the filter than I thought
probably just a bit of air traped in it. it will quiet up a bit in time.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
probably just a bit of air traped in it. it will quiet up a bit in time.

It doesn't sound like air. It's a hum/rattle sound. I took it apart and inspected the motor everything looks fine. It's about as loud as a noisy air pump. This sucks I bought the thing because of how silent everyone says they are. Well I'm gonna give it a few days if it doesn't quiet down, it's out of hear.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
Eheims are quiet. It probably has air in it. Have you tried purging the air?
I use to always disconnect the filter output side at the disconnects. Once this is done I put the tubing coming out of the top of the filter into a small bucket beneath the tank. Then i would open that disconnect and let the water run through the filter and gently shake the filter while doing so. You should get most of the air out this way. Afterward I would hook the disconnect back up and then power the filter back up.

When ever you do any maintenance on the filter ect. I would not hook up the spraybar side until filter was full of water. You use the disconnect valve as a shutoff(outgoing side) with a small bucket to catch water. This helps to purge all the air. I hope this is somewhat clear. Wording a description is not my strong suit.

After you use your filter for a while it will be easypeasy! You will love the classic eheim. IMHO there really is no other worthy filter. I made the mistake of going to a pro2. Nice enough but I still prefer the classics.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

gotcha thanks riverrat

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode