T-5 combination opinions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
T-5 combination opinions

Im almost done selling off all of my corals and am now looking at light for my planted tank.
I have two icecap ballasts and for the time being will keep the blue lights onthe smaller ballast for a blue look mood lighting.
On the larger ballast I will run four 54 watt bulbs.

Does anyone have a recommendation on which bulbs for a best growth/look combo. Im wll aware that its all in the eye of the tank keeper but would like some feedback on peoples favorite bulb combo

Right now, Im considering starting with three 6700k and one of the aquamedic plant grow (red).

Does anyone use the red bulbs? Are they worth the extra money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 01:45 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
How big is the tank?

4x54W is probably the max you want to use on a 4 foot tank.

6700k-10000k bulbs generally look nice. Not too yellow and not too blue, but it depends on the manufacturer. People claim that is the only range that is good for growing plants (it's not)

I've got a 3x54W fixture and usually run a 6700k and a red plant bulb. I like the color, but I don't think it makes much of a difference in growth.

Giesseman bulbs are supposed to be really nice, aqua-flora and midday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The tank is a 210G. Six foot long by 30" deep.

Geisseman's have a good rep in the SW hobby for sure.
Thanks for the input.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Most people seem to like the blue color you get from a 10,000k bulb, especially if the other bulbs are on the pinkish or yellowish side like you get with the "grow lights" and the 4000-6000k lights.

There is a post somewhere in the lighting section that has a comparison between various different colors of light on the same tank using the same ballasts to get an idea of how the compare. I think it was posted by Hoppy but I'm not 100% sure on that.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
Most people seem to like the blue color you get from a 10,000k bulb, especially if the other bulbs are on the pinkish or yellowish side like you get with the "grow lights" and the 4000-6000k lights.

There is a post somewhere in the lighting section that has a comparison between various different colors of light on the same tank using the same ballasts to get an idea of how the compare. I think it was posted by Hoppy but I'm not 100% sure on that.
That post wasn't by me, but I do remember it too. It was very interesting.

Hoppy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (53/100%)
Quote:
Giesseman bulbs are supposed to be really nice, aqua-flora and midday
These are a great bulb combo!

Depending on your Configuration, looks like four & 2 like my six bulb Tek. I use the afore mentioned bulbs starting with the midday @ the front & alternating with the aqua-flora works great, run the 2 outside most of the time with bursts of all six ....may want to consider foregoing the mood lighting.
After shopping around for Giesseman's found the cheapest place to buy them was through the local Hydroponics shop. Although they did'nt stock them they got them within three days.

Algae Architect....Yes! I have Algae, but it's all very tasteful...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
+1 on Giesemann Aquaflora and Midday combo. AquariumSpecialty.com has the best prices on bulbs and shipping that I found when buying my last set. Shipping was also fast and packaging was very secure.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode