Stupid have same shipping mandates on Freshwater plant as exotic reef animals? - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stupid have same shipping mandates on Freshwater plant as exotic reef animals?

Is it stupid to treat Freshwater plant the same as exotic expensive salt reef animals in terms of overnight shipping requirements ?

There are a couple of online stores such as Petco, liveaquaria.com (from Dr. Foster&smith) and Thatfishplace which place plant cuttings in as high if not higher category as exotic salt water fish in terms as shipping requirements. Petco will sell reef fish but not even sell freshwater plants on their website.

You are forced to either spend $45 of this type of super overnight shipping or spend like $175 to get free shipping( a lot of money to spend on just plants)

While I agree this is needed for the live exotic delicate salt water fish and coral, I do not think that some kind of cutting of a plant which is probably considered an weed or invasive species because its so hard to kill should require that overnight $45 delivery.

I would be willing to risk a few dollars to have some hardy freshwater plants shipped ground with my normal shipment vs a $45 requirement for overnight in order to get my money back if something goes wrong. Its like saying you have to spend $45 to insure a $3 plant.

Do you guys think its kind of stupid to place the same shipping requirements on freshwater plants as they do for some exotic $600 reef fish?

Thanks.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Turn around and walk the other way...
Plants getting set on the side and dieing while waiting for someone to notice them
being out of place or getting caught in temperatures they can't stand likely kills
quite a few plants each year in the mail. Places like Doctor's simply don't want the
problems associated with this. I send plants absolutely free to members on here
when I decide to get rid of them. I don't have a replacement for it and neither do I want to refund the postage. So I just send it for free. If it dies...oh well.
If the post office screws up...oh well. Either way I don't have to replace anything.
But stores like Doctors choose to handle it in a different way which insures they don't
get burned. Works for them apparently. If you don't want to pay it just don't.
Get plants from people on here or elsewhere.
What I think is dumb is someone who actually pays that much to get a couple of
plants delivered. If lots of plants are being bought, I'd pay it to help insure the
plants I bought actually made it. Face it, there is a much better selection of plants right here than on Doctor's anyway.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If we all start making a list of stupid, we may need to get a bigger internet. I try not to get excited about what a business decides. I just move on to the next business. Tried flying anywhere lately?

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:45 PM
Banned

Hmm, last I looked liveaquaria (based in Chicago) and Arizona Aquatics don't need overnight shipping. 2-3 day works though still not cheap.
Got really great plants from LiveAquaria (though granted IL is only 1 state away).
Second day is $15.99 on is $18.99
There are state restriction on some plants as well..

Problem comes w/ "livestock"...

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 11:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I just shipped 2 pounds of plants to a member using priority ground, 3 days from the mid-west to the west coast. This is 2 pounds of plants, 4 quart freezer bags full and a 5th which had some mass. I'm not worried about them at all lol. You can get good deals all over tpt I wouldnt waste my time buying plants at 45 bucks just for shipping.
GrampsGrunge and GrampsGrunge like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Turn around and walk the other way...
Plants getting set on the side and dieing while waiting for someone to notice them
being out of place or getting caught in temperatures they can't stand likely kills
quite a few plants each year in the mail. Places like Doctor's simply don't want the
problems associated with this. I send plants absolutely free to members on here
when I decide to get rid of them. I don't have a replacement for it and neither do I want to refund the postage. So I just send it for free. If it dies...oh well.
If the post office screws up...oh well. Either way I don't have to replace anything.
But stores like Doctors choose to handle it in a different way which insures they don't
get burned. Works for them apparently. If you don't want to pay it just don't.
Get plants from people on here or elsewhere.
What I think is dumb is someone who actually pays that much to get a couple of
plants delivered. If lots of plants are being bought, I'd pay it to help insure the
plants I bought actually made it. Face it, there is a much better selection of plants right here than on Doctor's anyway.

For example, I placed an order for over $100 from one of those stores( physical good) and they a plant I wanted for like $3 which I could not find at Petco, petsupermarket or a local owned placed around here.

I added it to my cart then stopped it when I found out it would cost $45 to ship. I would gladly risk losing the $3 and waiving my right to refund/return rather than pay $45 for the same overnight shipping reserved for their exotic salt water fish.

I think these stores would stand to make a fortune is they allowed a people to add a freshwater plant to their order with the understanding that the guarantee only applies to overnight shipment and they will be assuming the risk for the plants.

Right now plants are probably never ordered unless someone has some big order of salt water fish to go along with it and they are wondering why no one ever seems to order plants from them.

I am under the impression that other people also feel the same as I do in which they would like to order a few dollars of plants and have them shipped with their regular order vs paying $45 on shipping alone for the plant order.

Losing $3-$6 on a plant order is not as bad as a guaranteed loss of $45 for shipping.

Thanks.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
10 gallon betta tank
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
If we all start making a list of stupid, we may need to get a bigger internet. I try not to get excited about what a business decides. I just move on to the next business. Tried flying anywhere lately?
Well, they probably set policy for livestock when they are looking at some expensive $500 exotic fish or even in the thousands however they are not considering shipping some $2 plant that grows like a weed.

Petco won't even sell those plants which they sell in a plastic bag out of water on the shelf for weeks online. If the plant can live for weeks or a month, I am pretty sure it can live a few days in a ground shipping box.

They probably just think that plants are just a bad selling item online or something and it has nothing to do with a $175 minimum order threshold or a $45 mandatory shipping charge for overnight shipment.

10 gallon betta tank
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
I just shipped 2 pounds of plants to a member using priority ground, 3 days from the mid-west to the west coast. This is 2 pounds of plants, 4 quart freezer bags full and a 5th which had some mass. I'm not worried about them at all lol. You can get good deals all over tpt I wouldnt waste my time buying plants at 45 bucks just for shipping.
My point is that you should not be required to. $18 shipping is a big obstacle too.

Some of that saltwater fish are in the thousands of dollars and caught in the wild whereas these plants are like weeds and you just get a cutting.

That fish place sells some plants for like $3 that Ebay members sell for over $10.

I am of the impression that customers should be allowed to order plants and have them shipped with their order as long as they are willing to take the risk of a dead plant. For a $45 shipping savings, I would risk that $3 plant.

This policy probably prevents them from selling 95% possible plant sales.

10 gallon betta tank
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 04:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post
My point is that you should not be required to. $18 shipping is a big obstacle too.

Some of that saltwater fish are in the thousands of dollars and caught in the wild whereas these plants are like weeds and you just get a cutting.

That fish place sells some plants for like $3 that Ebay members sell for over $10.

I am of the impression that customers should be allowed to order plants and have them shipped with their order as long as they are willing to take the risk of a dead plant. For a $45 shipping savings, I would risk that $3 plant.

This policy probably prevents them from selling 95% possible plant sales.
My point is you dont have to. There are plenty of tpt members who will gladly ship you cuttings for a few bucks a plant (for common plants) and 5 to 7 for shipping. There is never a reason to spend 45 bucks for shipping of plants. I just shipped two pounds of plants and it costs 15 bucks to the west coast and will be there in 3 days. I am betting the plants will be just fine once placed in good water with some nutes and decent lighting.

Just my opinion but I would never consider it when i can get on here and find about anything.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 04:57 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
I hope they all start charging $100

If you cant find the plant you want on sale here, from a hobbyist, you certainly arent gonna find it at Petco or DrFS
thedood and thedood like this.

post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post

If you cant find the plant you want on sale here, from a hobbyist, you certainly arent gonna find it at Petco or DrFS
I agree. Most folks who are spending that kind of money for shipping plants arent hanging on forums like tpt or they have more money than sense.
Bushkill and Bushkill like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
I agree. Most folks who are spending that kind of money for shipping plants arent hanging on forums like tpt or they have more money than sense.
I don't think people are spending that money and hence I would imaging their online plant sales are not very good unless they catch the occasional customer who get closed to the $175 livestock mark by buying a bunch freshwater fish or expensive salt water fish who might also happen to have a planted aquarium.

I would bet they are losing over 95% of their possible sales because of this $45 shipping policy intended for exotic salt water creatures being applied to common weed plants.

10 gallon betta tank
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I don't think people are spending that money and hence I would imaging their online plant sales are not very good unless they catch the occasional customer who get closed to the $175 livestock mark by buying a bunch freshwater fish or expensive salt water fish who might also happen to have a planted aquarium.

I would bet they are losing over 95% of their possible sales because of this $45 shipping policy intended for exotic salt water creatures being applied to common weed plants.
Thats whats great about capitalism. Their loss is a lucky tpt members gain.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post

Are you crazy????? No one will buy a plant with $100 shipping. That is insane, why would you hope for that?

10 gallon betta tank
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:43 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
Quote:
Are you crazy????? No one will buy a plant with $100 shipping. That is insane, why would you hope for that?
Obviously that is my point.

You can find just about any plant in the hobby right here on TPT. Either by searching the For Sale board, or post a wanted to buy thread on the WTB/RAOK board.

There's absolutely no reason to sweat what Petco charges to ship a plant!
thedood and thedood like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode