Aquarium Choice Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Aquarium Choice Help

Hello All,

I am in the market for a larger aquarium. I have two options on craigslist, a 180 gallon regular for $175, does need to be resealed. The other option is a170 gallon curved front tank which currently leaks on the bottom and needs a resealing. Based on your opinions is a rectangle tank better than a bow front, or vice versa? I do know bow front can tend to distort but on a large tank would this be much of an issue? As far as planting goes is one better than the other? Lastly, I also have seen a few 120s that look decent, in terms of sizing for a planted tank. Just am unsure on which item to choose, any input or advice, greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Personally I wouldn't take on re-sealing a tank that large till I'd done at least
a couple that were smaller. 180 gallons of water on the floor is a serious mess.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where is the leak? $175 for a 180 is not a bad price. If the leak is the bottom seam under the trim, it won't be to hard to fix. If its a corner seam, offer $150. Corners require more disassembly to fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you have not done a few already, I would pass on both. You can better spend the time and effort.
But if going with either, I do not favor bow fronts as they tend to be a bit of pain for finding things like canopies and lights to go on top. Just personal choice in many cases.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 12:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Bow fronts scare me when they get that big... I know they shouldn't but they do....

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have had nothing but problems with used tanks over 100 gallon save your money and buy new.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
As someone who has had both a 46 gallon bowfront and 120 gallon tank suddenly leak - spend the money to get a new one. A sudden leak, especially on a large tank, is perhaps the most traumatic thing a fishkeeper can experience. Think about all the expenditures that go into creating a planted tank - filters, lights, substrate, flora and fauna. On a tank that size especially, the cost of the tank itself is chump change when compared to everything else. It's definitely worth spending a few hundred extra to ensure you get a tank that can be enjoyed for years to come without leaks or other problems.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode