Yay for free tanks! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yay for free tanks!

Okay, so I learnd a very important lesson today. Do not put a heat lamp on the side of a tank, because it'll over heat the glass and BAM..crack like no one's business right when your head is next to it. Then you'll probably burn/cut yourself on hot glass.

Well, after putting Lark (my snow corn) back in..I figured I'd have to forego buying a new aquarium for a vivarium like I'd planned and spend the money on a new tank for the snake. But! I just spoke to my mother (I'm sort of her tech support, so she had computer questions)..and apparently this friend of hers has a 50 gallon tank that she has sitting around and can't stand looking at anymore. My mom said I could replace the broken tank with that, but...we all know it's being turned into a planted tank, and Lark's getting another 20 long.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Can't beat a free 50 gallon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I suppose I shouldn't ask why someone would point a heat lamp at a fish tank Glad Lark's OK.

Tom

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Yay! My mom picked up a perfectly good 75 gallon tank that was next to the road with a big "FREE" sign in it! I still don't know how she jammed it in her car...

The lesson I learned with my boa was be careful where you're misting. Being an idiot, I didn't think and I was priming the spray bottle right in the direction of the 250w heat lamp. Man, those things explode when they get hit!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just picked this up for free too! but mine's going to be a salt water reef tank.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powchekny View Post
I suppose I shouldn't ask why someone would point a heat lamp at a fish tank Glad Lark's OK.

Tom
She's a corn snake. Yeah, after burning myself on the glass, I almost freaked out realizing she could've done the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captivate05 View Post
Yay! My mom picked up a perfectly good 75 gallon tank that was next to the road with a big "FREE" sign in it! I still don't know how she jammed it in her car...

The lesson I learned with my boa was be careful where you're misting. Being an idiot, I didn't think and I was priming the spray bottle right in the direction of the 250w heat lamp. Man, those things explode when they get hit!
Holy crap! I intentionally flicked water on a blacklight bulb once. I was young, thought the sizzling sound was awesome until it exploded in my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmelnick View Post
I just picked this up for free too! but mine's going to be a salt water reef tank.
I shall live vicariously through you! I'm so tempted to start up a long reef tank, but I have three cats, two snakes, and like..7 aquariums. No more tanks for me. I mean. Unless they're free.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I wanna get my mitts on a small tank...for free. After seeing what some people have done with em, makes me want one. I have a 20 Gallon Long and 36 Gallon Bow Front, a small one would be nice.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode