Good aquarium books:... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good aquarium books:...

I found out our library has this on it's shelves..

Your Home Aquarium: Dr. Jorg Vierke

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Home-Aquarium-Jorg-Vierke/dp/0866220755

It's a bit of an annotated, more Americanized version of his 1986 book Vierke's Aquarium Book.

( This also was the book I kept thinking was called "The Natural Aquarium". Which I believe was written by an author from Japan that was in the same field as Amano's early planted show tank experiments.)

Vierke's Aquarium Book was really prophetic about the upcoming planted aquarium hobby. Although in Europe and other countries, naturalist care of aquarium fishes and heavily planted tanks had already been in practice for some time. Jorg also covers planted nano tanks and alternate lighting solutions to fluorescent and incandescent lighting that were common at the time. He also provided ideas for setting up Biotypical tanks with fish and plants from the same country if not continent, and some were from a specific region/river.

Like some of the books of their time his stocking suggestions are a bit on the crowded side, but he covers the maintenance end by thoroughly recommending water changes if not weekly at least twice every month.

I credit this book for it's bringing me more seriously into fish and planted tank keeping. His style in the translation is easily understandable, cordial, witty and human.

Dr. Vierke is a naturalist first and foremost, and shares his love of bringing into your home, a small part the Amazon or SE Asian blackwater streams our prized fish live in and replicating it effectively by sharing what the environment of the fish are like, how to best replicate it.

He's also one of the first to talk about including the high CEC dust from natural gravels as an underlayer to the top layers of gravel, this recommended plant gravel grain size he recommends is pretty spot on.

I also really enjoy reading his magazine articles on Dwarf Ciclids from the time.

Any aquarium books you consider to be timeless, well written, or very good reads?

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 11:19 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Walstad's Ecology of the Planted Aquarium is an excellent read.
Amano's Nature Aquarium World (all three volumes) or the compiled Complete Works (which has a bit of everything including a few new aquascapes) serve as excellent inspirational books.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I like the Baensch series for the fish information. Originally published in German, available in English translation.
Walstad's Ecology... is at the top of the list for me.

I also have quite a few other books about aquariums and ponds, but they are less informative.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

There's also this book that the Booth's used as their 'primer' for their first big planted tanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Aquarium-Kaspar-Horst/dp/3925916024
I remember seeing this at our LFS for over $40 years back.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Do those books still hold up after all these years.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I don't know, it's sort of a subjective question.

I think they do, the principles I applied to my tanks back in 91~94 worked, but I was told by PlantBrain-Barr that they couldn't possibly work.

Good tank husbandry is still good tank husbandry, unless of course the Matrix has suddenly reset itself..

My concern about EI is what about evaporation creep? Does EI work in the long run if you're not removing all the macros and such with your 50% changes, when on top of that you're losing 20 percent of your water to evaporation and using tap water as the top up?

https://www.amazon.com/Naturalists-g...=1&*entries*=0

J.J. Hoedeman's book pretty much kicked off the base principles that started the Dutch Tank revolution, no-one does Dutch tanks anymore but Walstadt's tanks are based on these very same ideas

Last edited by GrampsGrunge; 06-10-2016 at 03:36 PM. Reason: ...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 08:07 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
My concern about EI is what about evaporation creep? Does EI work in the long run if you're not removing all the macros and such with your 50% changes, when on top of that you're losing 20 percent of your water to evaporation and using tap water as the top up?
Well your changing on average 50% of the water weekly so there's really not much evaporation or not enough to really worry about. The dosing of EI is obviously estimate in excess so even if you were topping off with tap it should be within range.

The addition of pressurized co2 really changed the hobby. More species of plants can be grown with less light and the myth of NPK causing algae to start has pretty much been proven in my book (pun intended)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscook - basic knowledge and understanding for beginners
Nature Aquarium World by Takashi Amano - collection of photos of Amano's tanks

These two have been helpful in the past, but most of the knowledge I've learned, especially about more recent technologies, is actually from this forum or just reading online.

I would be very interested in more recent publications that talk about more in detail about the science behind planted tanks, fertilization, CO2 injection, ID'ing deficiencies, cellular makeup of different plants, etc.

I also would be interested in seeing books about aquascaping concepts: style, plant combinations, design theories and design foundations, design techniques, history of aquascaping, etc.

Planted tanks is a great hobby because it mixes science and art, but there is a lack of publications out there for it.

||
||

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode