LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
The random thread

Im just going to post a bunch of random s of things I know or think I know
Because my brain is comprehensive its put together like this
Feel free to argue, comment whatever without offense

Surface agitation degassing is partially a myth, it can only degass so much, I can still easily gas my fish with plenty of surface agitation

Starting an ada Amazonia substrate system I have always had good results
Blasting co2
Doing water changes
No fertilizer dosing
Oh yeah yeah….proviDED that light, o2 are “GOOD”, and there is no livestock

Amazonia can either cycle a month and a half to 2 or so
Or you can do water changes
To remove nh4 leech, most of depletion which you will eventually have to fuel back N

New driftwood must be soaked /presoaked and aged to prevent that white fungus stuff even then I just don’t know……haha

Reds I believe are to be produced by light intensity

You can float moss in a zip lock bag with a little water with air inside and watch it grow in its own little ecosystem

Moss easily adapts, probability why you can’t grow it is either the moss you started with was bad or you attached it too loosely

A overflow/sump system will rid of duckweed for life unless you have dead spots or floaters blocking your surface skimmer

Seachem excel is just an algaecide, it doesn’t provide co2 like co2 gas, sure their claims, but I’m sure most things can be broken down into carbon

Syngonanthus is the only plant I really have true passion for anymore

Mazanita will float, then sink
African root and Malaysian driftwood sink right away

Proper co2 diffusion vs. bubble count
You can pump all the co2 you want but if its not diffusing properly it’ll waste

Tonina require higher par than syngonanthus

You can plant ludwigias and rotalas and bacopas n most plants sideways to grow sideshoots upwards

Fish are a source of co2
Even when they die

Bucephalandra can and will do better in the substrate

Buce emmersed grows yellowish/brownish dirty roots, submerged it grows white roots

Tonina will grow whispy aerial roots which are easily covered in fungus

Just to show how little light you need to grow things emmersed, this is always in indirect sunlight
[insert pic]

I’ve killed and gassed so many fish in my lifetime without care that I deserve to go to hell

You always want your surface crisp and crystal clear, meaning your providing enough oxygen to your biosphere

Why is it that no one knows hardly jack about syngonanthus including myself?

Macros compliment each other in one way or another
P compliments N very well

Plants talk to each other, wage war with each other, discriminate against one another, they’re humans in super slow mo

I am trying to achieve nirvana chi through my aquarium

Foregrounds are usually N hogs

Been here since 8 years old or so, still learning, reading even more than ever
Sometimes I think I know it all, sometimes I think I don’t know a darn thing

Before I die. I will make pantanal red…

Ludwigia white propagates sideshoots off the smallest of stems

I’d say the most beautiful works I’ve made are the least I’ve cared for (maintenance wise)

Amazonia does all the work, its magical
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:55 AM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
amen

I posted something similar earlier.
I guess keep your goals in mind, and why you are doing it.

Maybe it's agitating something else inside to keep your mind at rest.

One thing is for certain, no one here can bake cookies across states or countries. There's a reason new york pizza tastes way different than sf pizza. I believe there is a reason why some can keep a tank and others can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
Im just going to post a bunch of random s of things I know or think I know
Because my brain is comprehensive its put together like this
Feel free to argue, comment whatever without offense

Surface agitation degassing is partially a myth, it can only degass so much, I can still easily gas my fish with plenty of surface agitation

Starting an ada Amazonia substrate system I have always had good results
Blasting co2
Doing water changes
No fertilizer dosing
Oh yeah yeah….proviDED that light, o2 are “GOOD”, and there is no livestock

Amazonia can either cycle a month and a half to 2 or so
Or you can do water changes
To remove nh4 leech, most of depletion which you will eventually have to fuel back N

New driftwood must be soaked /presoaked and aged to prevent that white fungus stuff even then I just don’t know……haha

Reds I believe are to be produced by light intensity

You can float moss in a zip lock bag with a little water with air inside and watch it grow in its own little ecosystem

Moss easily adapts, probability why you can’t grow it is either the moss you started with was bad or you attached it too loosely

A overflow/sump system will rid of duckweed for life unless you have dead spots or floaters blocking your surface skimmer

Seachem excel is just an algaecide, it doesn’t provide co2 like co2 gas, sure their claims, but I’m sure most things can be broken down into carbon

Syngonanthus is the only plant I really have true passion for anymore

Mazanita will float, then sink
African root and Malaysian driftwood sink right away

Proper co2 diffusion vs. bubble count
You can pump all the co2 you want but if its not diffusing properly it’ll waste

Tonina require higher par than syngonanthus

You can plant ludwigias and rotalas and bacopas n most plants sideways to grow sideshoots upwards

Fish are a source of co2
Even when they die

Bucephalandra can and will do better in the substrate

Buce emmersed grows yellowish/brownish dirty roots, submerged it grows white roots

Tonina will grow whispy aerial roots which are easily covered in fungus

Just to show how little light you need to grow things emmersed, this is always in indirect sunlight
[insert pic]

I’ve killed and gassed so many fish in my lifetime without care that I deserve to go to hell

You always want your surface crisp and crystal clear, meaning your providing enough oxygen to your biosphere

Why is it that no one knows hardly jack about syngonanthus including myself?

Macros compliment each other in one way or another
P compliments N very well

Plants talk to each other, wage war with each other, discriminate against one another, they’re humans in super slow mo

I am trying to achieve nirvana chi through my aquarium

Foregrounds are usually N hogs

Been here since 8 years old or so, still learning, reading even more than ever
Sometimes I think I know it all, sometimes I think I don’t know a darn thing

Before I die. I will make pantanal red…

Ludwigia white propagates sideshoots off the smallest of stems

I’d say the most beautiful works I’ve made are the least I’ve cared for (maintenance wise)

Amazonia does all the work, its magical
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Oh boy, just a quick glance and I see a few things I have differing thoughts on
I will stop by later today when I have more time to comment.

Cheers

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
It's a good thread to just throw stuff out there that's on your chest. The one thing that I've found after being in this hobby for *only* 6 months is that given everything else is the same, is that some plants just don't work for some like they've worked for others. I think if you can come to terms with that, then you won't get so wrapped up in some topics.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 03:52 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll throw some of my ideas too, later, not from phone! Subscribed, let's see, what random thoughts we have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you guys, any responses will be taken in and retained and taken with no offense.

There are some out there that believe a plant when introduced is working with its reserves in the beginning stage of adaptation. To my observation, this is wrong as most of the plants start growing right away without any deterioation is it because of the replenishing nutrients that they are still able to grow without the adaptation period?
I'm having a hard time putting this together.

Fluff your moss people, you'd be surprised at how much debris they're collecting even if they're healthy and green and at their prime fronds.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-03-2016 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
I've Got 2.

I've never officially cycled a planted tank (with Ammonia or fish) I start the tank up put the plants in, fert and change water on a regular basis. About a month later I add the fish livestock, never had a problem.

At this point I don't test anything. I dose EI, change water on a regular basis, never overstock.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

"I wanna be like Mike"

I wanna be like Barr. Genius. To be able to grow and scape as well. No he's not the best scaper, but he pretty dang good.
Yesgay? . The guy doesn't even like this kind've complimentary crap, but I'm proud to say it...
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Fertilizers are hardly ever the issue if you are dosing. Light dosages might give you light deficiencies, but its such an easy easy remedy compared to the rest of the stuff you have to get right. A deficiency will heal/recover pretty fast.

I started doing shop lights from home depot around the 2000s, easier and more manageable than the power lighting we have nowadays. Intensity is pretty low being they were either t12's or t8's, so addition or subtraction of lighting was far less drastic.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
I don't live in California.

Have you succumbed to the pleasure of Multiple Tank Syndrome? I feel your pain!
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I've grown in various spectrums, not full 20,000k. But from 50/50s, to powerglos, to very low 4000k. Ever witness those dull brownish homedepot labeled plant bulbs that discontinued? I'm not really talking reds here, haven't produced enough red in time frame to comment.

My personal faves r 6500k and 10000k because of the coloring of the tank. Really dislike the violet or pink on the tank.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

spread is more important than intensity in a tank, agree?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Some of that stuff I have no experience on, so can't comment. But two things:

I agree so far about the bucephalandra. The ones I have planted in substrate grow faster and look healthier than the ones on driftwood.

I don't agree about the driftwood- I have boiled and soaked, soaked and boiled for over a week and it still grew that white fungus stuff. Which I siphoned off two or three times during wc then it was gone, no biggie. Freaked me out when I first saw it, though, not knowing it was harmless!

|
|
|
|
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just wanted to say I love this:
"Amazonia does all the work, its magical "
Its true though....
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
Some of that stuff I have no experience on, so can't comment. But two things:

I agree so far about the bucephalandra. The ones I have planted in substrate grow faster and look healthier than the ones on driftwood.

I don't agree about the driftwood- I have boiled and soaked, soaked and boiled for over a week and it still grew that white fungus stuff. Which I siphoned off two or three times during wc then it was gone, no biggie. Freaked me out when I first saw it, though, not knowing it was harmless!
Thank you for your advice. Whether or not wrong or right i will like to continue random stuff and debate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode