Help! Invasion of the Java Moss Monster - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help! Invasion of the Java Moss Monster

so heres the story
I just started my first 'real' planted tank, I bought a couple amazon swords at the LFS< they had java moss growing on several of the leaves, I cut off a couple of the more covered leaves and put em in

Im running 3 30 watt NOs above a 30 with these

Its been roughly 1 week, and the Ive noticed the Java moss is starting to web out all over the aqaurium, its EXETREMELY thin strands right now, but I foresee a horrible infestation, I dont want my aquarium chock full of java moss

Is there anything I can do (short of trashing my swords and cleaning all the moss out) ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 12:14 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't want to sound condescending or anything ... but are you sure it's Java Moss and not some sort of hair algae? Because, it sounds more like algae to me. If you have any pictures, that would be of great help.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

your not being condescending at all
But I will feel pretty stupid if your right

I have suspected the same thing, The LFS owner said it was Java moss so I just took his word on it...

It looks much to thin to be javamoss, and it attaches to things very securely

Ill get a picture posted shortly, though im not too good at close up photography

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 01:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Dwarfpufferfish
That, my friend is a case of algae. I looks like BBA (I think, I am not an algae expert), do a search for BBA and that should help you figure out how to rid the problem!

-------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
information.
-------------------------------------
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

OK, so I did a little reading

And the thing to do is... wait till it goes away?

Is there not a better way to deal with it? anything thatll eat it and not the plants?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearljam11
OK, so I did a little reading

And the thing to do is... wait till it goes away?

Is there not a better way to deal with it? anything thatll eat it and not the plants?
Yuck. I feel for you. I made the mistake a long time ago of not disinfecting some Crinium plants with BBA and next thing you know its everywhere.

Following Tom Barr's advice...get you CO2 to at least 25-30 ppm (don't go over 35). Get your nitrates to 10 ppm and your phosphate to 1, and NO micro ferts for at least a week or two depending. It will take time, but it will slowly dissolve. It's apparently an iron loving and micro loving algae. The other "quick" remedy is to remove the plant and do a bleach dip or use peroxide drops (both of which I've never done). Do a search on the two other methods if you want to try that. Good luck.

Re-boot!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, since its only 3 plants, I might try that.. I dont think its worth 2 amazon swords lives to have my whole aqaurium infested with this.... and I think the stuff is killing them anyway, the infected leaves are beginning to die, and its spreading like wildfire
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 02:45 AM

I was having slight cases of BBA a few weeks ago -- did a quick bleach bath last week, and that pretty much took care of the algae. I'm losing a couple of plant leaves, but that's a given with abrasive substances like bleach. I would first, however, follow dawgger's advise on the nutrient and CO2 dosing to see if you can beat it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

would removing all the plants, cleaning the driftwood and removing all traces from inside purge me of this stuff? or will it return even then? I dont want to go through all that trouble if it comes back
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 04:19 AM

Quote:
would removing all the plants, cleaning the driftwood and removing all traces from inside purge me of this stuff? or will it return even then? I dont want to go through all that trouble if it comes back
hi there! from what i have read, an imbalance in the basic needs of the planted tank triggers the growth of algae - less light, escessive nutrients, less CO2. so even if you have immaculately cleaned your tank from algae, there could be a tendency to grow them unknowingly. the secret IMHO is to monitor your tank closely and stick to the regular water change. to quantify the ideal setting specific to your tank may be a great pain since the parameters will vary according to your plant and fish and nutrient loads but i'm pretty sure you can still achieve it with the learnings along the way! i myself is still in the learning curve and the planted tanks i have are still evolving. it pays to get info as much as you can. like from this forum.

good luck on your next step!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Probably not. Skela makes a good point.

Also, there will still be spores in your water, etc. Just work on getting the nutrients balanced according to Dawggers guidelines and you should be all set!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

well, tomarrow Im going to rid the tank of the [censored][censored][censored][censored]ty web-looking part of the algea, then begin work on a DIY Co2 I guess..

I got 3 wpg up in a diy canopy, set up so I can control the lights to 1, 2 or 3 wpg at any time

no c02 input though

any tips on how to acheive those parameters best?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
well, tomarrow Im going to rid the tank of the [censored][censored][censored][censored]ty web-looking part of the algea, then begin work on a DIY Co2 I guess..

I got 3 wpg up in a diy canopy, set up so I can control the lights to 1, 2 or 3 wpg at any time

no c02 input though

any tips on how to acheive those parameters best?
Ahhh...there in lies the problem. Read up on DIY CO2 by reading the article section and doing a search. One change I would make to the article about DIY CO2, instead of a RIO 600 pump, use a RIO 200 or equivalent. The 600 is too strong.

You'll need a carbonate hardness test kit (KH) and your pH test kit to monitor CO2 levels. Sorry I don't have the CO2 chart handy, but again, do a search and you'll find it.

You'll also need a phosphate test kit and nitrate test kit.

Potassium phosphate can be store bought as regular "Fleet Enema" at a drug store. And potassium nitrate is "Stump remover" at a hardware store. I use lab grade chemicals (crystals) so I can't help with the dosing, but again (sorry to sound repetitive) do a search and type in "dosing fleet enema" and "dosing stump remover" and see what you get.

I hope this helps. Good luck!!

Re-boot!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 05:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

re bba cure

I have done this works great. Dip your swords leaves in full strength hydrogen peroxide for about 3 minutes. Wash really well and replant it should turn red then fall off after a few days. Leaves should be okay unless they were really bad.
But the 10 to 1 nitrate to phospate ratio is very important. So get that under control.
Erik

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Milwaukee Co2 and PH controller
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
Botia Kubotai and dwarf rainbows

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode