FINALLY! Tank's shaping up - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
FINALLY! Tank's shaping up

Hello again all.

Thanks to this forum, my 55 gallon is finally starting to show some real improvement (special thanks to Momotaro and Rosko).

Quick recap:

55 GAL
130 W PC 6700K (replaced 80 W NO)
Latterite added to gravel substrate
Canister Filter
DIY CO2
Numerous swords, ludwigia, and bicopa.

Anyway, after all the good advice, my water parameters were straightening out: Nitrite-0, Ammonia-0, Nitrate-10, PO4-1 (down from well over 2ppm), KH-5, PH-7, CO2-15.

But of course, since the plants are actually growing now, I am at the point where I need to figure a couple of things out.

Did water parameter check last night and got the following:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
PH - 7.4
PO4 - .3
KH - 7
CO2 - 8.4

I know the plants are stripping Nitrates and Phosphates from the water, but is that also what's causing the CO2 level to drop (still getting 32 bpm from DIY)?

Also, any ideas why the KH is going up? It's always stayed around 5 (since I've been testing) and the only thing I have changed is 50% water last Saturday and added 1 ml Flourish (going slow to see what happens per Momo's advise).

I am back to having the glass covered with a light coating of bright green algae by day 4 (NOTHING like it was before I took the advise here! ).

I read all of Rex Griggs site (EXCELLENT and straight to the point! ) and am planning on ordering KNO3, KH2PO4, and plantex+B from Gregwatson.com. If I can figure out the right dosage, will I still be on the right track?

Most of all just wondering why CO2 is going down and KH is going up...

Thanks for your time and have a GREAT weekend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 03:30 PM
mpb
Planted Member

The plants are photosynthesizing and using the a lot of CO2. You could measure the CO2 level in the morning just before the lights go on and them compare with the level in the evening just after the lights go off. I guess you are going to see a huge difference.

About the KH, you should measure the KH and GH of your tap water. Probably your tap water is a little hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluorite , Pressurized CO2 with Hagen ladder, Fluval 304, 110watts PC 6500K + 60watts Corallife Trichromatic
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

OK, so I measured the KH of the tap water (well) and it is 4DEG (71.6 ppm). So is there any idea why the tank water is now 6DEG (107.4 ppm) (after 50% water change tonight)?

I've GOT to get the Greg Watson order in, my PO4 (which used to be off the charts) is now at .2 and my Nitrate is at 6 ppm...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode