Starting Low and Getting High - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Starting Low and Getting High

Is it possible to start a planted tank with relatively low lighting (1-2 wpg) and then as you get a feel for what you're doing and understand the schedules and system a little better migrating to higher light (2-3 wpg)? Are there things you would want to incorporate in either kind of system (i.e., substrate, CO2 injection and whatnot) that would crossover from one lighting configuration to another? Reason I ask is that I'm thinking that when I convert my reef, I'd like to start on the lower end just to get a feel for what I'm doing. Once my feet are wet and I'm feeling more confident, I'm thinking I'd like to increase to higher light system and plants. I just don't want to have to rip out all of the substrate or make any drastic changes to the system in order to accomplish it if at all possible.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Paul

"I'd like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Eheim Pimp Club Member #64

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

First if your are converting a reef tank to a freshwater tank you will need to tear it down and clean the tank out with a mild bleach solution and/or vinager to remove any residue. Then you will need to replace the substrate with a plant gravel like Eco-complete or a small regular natural gravel.

Yes, you can start out a planted tank with under 2WPG; with this amount of light you will not need C02. Make sure to use low light plants like Hornwort, Crypts, Anubias, java Moss and Java Fern.

If you are using a actinic blue light for your reef tank you will need to get a bulb for plant growth (5500k-10000k).

He who angers you, controls you!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 03:06 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Of course it is possible!

Your substrate and equipment, less the lighting of course, would transfer over. As your lighting goes up, the amount of CO2 you need may go up, as well as the amount of fertilizers you are using and how often you are using them.

It will be easy to go from low lighting levels to higher lighting levels, you are just going to have to tweak a little as you do it!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 03:09 AM

Lighting won't affect the substrate you chose at all, so that's the same.

Even at 2 wpg you will do better with CO2, so that's the same.

Even at 2 wpg, you will fertilize, that will change but in dose and frequency, not the stuff you use.

If you have lights that are on two light timers, you can make the transition easily. I have a 4x55watt solar hood from PetSupplyLiquidators with two power switches. One bank gives me 1.8 wpg, near noon I turn on the other bank for 3.6 wpg. Then reverse in late afternoon. I don't like to run at 3.6 wpg for long as the swords get funky and worn out while the stem plnats go crazy and take over the tank in a week, and I am not into dosing every day now. So, the two banks allow you to back off the lighting, a nice thing to be able to do.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Exactly what I needed to know. I'm glad I can start low and move up as I feel more comfortable.

Thanks!
Paul

Paul

"I'd like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Eheim Pimp Club Member #64

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 09:36 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
This is an excellent approach... starting with lower light levels helps a lot to get a new tank stabilized without major algae blooms. Once everything is established you can slowly increase the light to be able to grow more demanding plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode