freshwater clams - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
freshwater clams

hi, i was wondering if anybody has kept any fw clams before? did it have any impact on your tank? how difficult are they to take care of? do you even see them after you put them in your tank?

i am planning on getting some in the semi distant future, and just thought i'd ask the experts,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I remember a several thread on these already. If you do the search you should be able to dig them up (not intended).

All I remember people saying about them is: clams = boring. They just bury into the substrate and sit there, and never move. You can't even know if they are dead or not. I don't think they need any maintenance as they just filter feed whatever they can from the water.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Planted Member

Years ago I sometimes kept a fresh water mussel. I would get one to clean up a cloudy water situation and it did that fast, in about two days. I then returned it to where I collected it.

These mussels were very active and a real pain, because they travelled all around the aquarium, uprooting plants as they went.

Clams are also filter feeders but I don't know if they travel around that much.

Bill

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 11:03 PM

I guess you could always eat them if they got boring? I have heard on a few sites, that sometimes its difficult to get clean ones as alot of the times they have filtered alot of crud during their lifespan.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

ok well if i end up getting some i'll have to let everybody know how it turns out...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 07:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
I tried freshwater clams, (not mussels) several years ago. They don't move, and they do not appear to eat, at least mine did not. Within two weeks they were all dead, or it took me that long to figure out they were dead from the smell... it was the most god awfull stench I have ever smelled in my life. It made me vomit to clean out the tank. It was very disgusting. Their bodies disintergrate into a jello very quickly, or perhaps more of an ooze... I had to tear down the entire tank, throw out the gravel and all the plants, and sterilize the tank to get rid of the smell. The stench lingered in my house for a few weeks!

Needless to say, that was my first and last experience with clams.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

huh, maybe i'll just hold off on the clams then....
thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode