San Francisco water KH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
San Francisco water KH

Those who live in San Franciso, what KH and GH have you measured out of the tap? I did a quick KH test using the Tetra test kit and I believe the KH I got is somewhere between 1.5-2 degrees. Is that what you are getting also?

I am setting up a CO2 injected planted tank for the first time and I need some feedback on what others using SF tap water are doing to achieve a good chemical balance for plants and fish.

Any feedback from SF locals would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
Try emailing sfbaaps for the "Dixon, Steven T. Aquatic Plant Nutrition for SF Tap Water" article. Sounds about right. Membership might still be free, and you could get a ton of info off there email list.

http://www.sfbaaps.com/ReferenceList.htm
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
At the end of this page is what I got for san jose,
http://www.aquascapingjournals.com/j...llon_setup.htm

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 10:51 PM
Planted Member

This link may help

http://sfwater.org/detail.cfm/MSC_ID.../holdSession/1

Mark K...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #37

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Eheim 2028 Pro II - 8w AquaUV Sterilizer - 48" Aqualight 2-65W 6700K & 2-55W 9325K - (4) 3/4Watt Aqualight Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LEDs - 160lbs EcoComplete substrate - Dupla Therm 500 substrate heater w/Temp Control - Hydor ETH300 inline heater - pressurized Co2 w/pH controller - Reactor 1000 CO2 - & lots of other misc. crap
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 02:18 AM

Down on the peninsula(Belmont) tap water is typically KH of 3 and pH=8.5-9.0. I think we are the same water, but not for sure.

The golf course I work at in San Francisco though has a KH of 2-3 and pH of 8.3.

Either way, with CO2 of 1 bps I got the pH down to 7 which is about 10ppm and if you increase the CO2 you should be good, no?

Side note, what is/are your favorite plant/fish stores?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Just a note here. Tap water pH should be tested after it has rested for a minimum of 12 hours and 24 hours is much better.

Also note that if you look at the pH/CO2/kH chart and find the 2 ppm range that's in the normal range of CO2 concentration in water. So if you have a pH of 9 and a kH of 2-3 you know that the water company is adding something to the water to raise the kH.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 07:30 AM

Hey, someone from around my area! Im from San Carlos. Maybe we can arrange for some plant trades or something. I have a bit of rotala wallachi that needs a haircut.... Rather give it to somebody than throw it away!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 09:35 PM

EvilKen,

Sounds great to me, but unfortunately I don't have much to trade with. Maybe some Rotala indica or Contortion vals, but that is about it. Somewhat of a newbie here. Either way, PM me and possibly we can set something up.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input. The tank is now regulated with CO2 injection at 6.8 and my KH is around 1.5-2 degrees. Per the table, that puts my CO2 at aound 7-10ppm. It looks like I have to decrease the pH to around 6.6 to achieve a CO2 level at the minimum recommended 15ppm.

If I regulate the pH to 6.6 over the next few days to get more CO2, will this adversely affect my fish too much? I am used to keeping the tank at around 7.2 without injection.

Regarding plants, I am in SF and I have some large Anubia that I can trade. I have had the Anubia for the last 6 years before starting a high watt planted tank and they have grown from a few small rizome clippings to foot tall plants.

I need some fast growing green and red plants now that I started the injection before I get too much algea buildup.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode