The Red Cherry Shrimp are in! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Dwarfpufferfish
The Red Cherry Shrimp are in!

Hey group,
I just received 11 red cherry shrimp! They are still young so they are pretty small. Does anybody in the group have recommendations what to feed them? They are VERY active and searching threw most parts of the tank looking for food. They seem to ignore the spirilla disks that I put in the tank though!

Also, one of my females already has the yellow "saddle." I am so excited!

Moderators: How about a shrimp forum? There seems to be a lot of interest in red cherries as well as amanos!

-------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I've never done anything special to feed my Cherries, including the 3-5mm babies that appear every so often. They all seem to get whatever they need by picking algae off plants or sifting though the mulm in the gravel.

They don't seem as carnivorous as Amanos, which will greedily grab bloodworms and flake food.

—Bill

|
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 01:03 AM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Same here. When I got my shipment, I dumped all 100 or so of them into the tank and they went away immediately at the algae. None of the cherry reds that I have have touched the food that I feed the fish, while the amanos will stuff their face full of it.

Eric

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 01:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
When I firt got my cherries they swam around frantically for a day or two. I feed mine freeze dried daphnia, bloodworms, tubifex worms, brine shrimp, algae wafers, and crab food and shrimp pellets. I break up the food underwater between my fingers so that it is small and sinks. Feeding them will make them grow faster. I feed small amounts 3 times a day.
The ones I feed are in a 2.5 gallon, I have never seen the cherries in my 75 eat anything but algae. The only shrimp in my 75 that respond to feeding time are the ghosts, I have 3 amanos that rarely make an appearance.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 01:24 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Moderators: How about a shrimp forum?
That has already been brought up.

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of interest in red cherries as well as amanos!
I would say more enthusiasm than interest. We held a chat about Cherry red shrimp and their breeding last Wednesday. It was a great chat with a lot of information passed along and shared. However, what was very disappointing was how few board members actually showed up to participate. For all the chatter on the board about shrimp, I was amazed at the lack of interest last week. We all thought we would have one of the largest crowds ever.

After seeing the lack of interest when something related to the shrimp was offered, I am starting to think a forum section dedicated solely to shrimp just might not be worth it.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 01:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

I couldn't get the chat to work I only got this: Chat Powered by:vBXirc 2.5
on the old boards I could chat but since the switch it hasn't worked for me.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
I would have joined the chat, but didn't know about it till too late.
I read the general discussion majority of the time and this time it was posted in the lounge

Taken down

Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 01:40 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
I couldn't get the chat to work I only got this: Chat Powered by:vBXirc 2.5
on the old boards I could chat but since the switch it hasn't worked for me.
I was wondering what happened to you Urk! You always joined in on the chats, and then you vanished! That explains it. We do miss your participation. You are not the first person to complain about the new chat. I have had problems, and others ave told me they have also had a problem.

Anyone else have a problem with the new chat?

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 01:56 AM
FMZ
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can I make a quick suggestion, whenever we chat, maybe somebody should copy paste it and post it on this forum. So anybody who misses the chat can read about it
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 02:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak
That has been done FMZ. Also I got my 11 cherrys about 2 weeks ago, they've already doubled in size, molted twice and are starting to red up! These guys are Awsome!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 02:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
i also would have joined the chat had i known about it beforehand... i just overlooked the post, plain and simple. i've never had cherries before, but my ghosts are keeping me quite entertained. i should be getting 5 cherries in the mail on thursday. i read the chat log and felt like there were several times that i would have loved to ask a question or two. i'll keep my eyes open for future chats, and if it is at all possible i will participate.

Oqsy
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 02:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak
I was part of the chat early on, I never saw my name in the log book but its ok
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Dwarfpufferfish
I also did not know about the chat until it was too late... I just overlooked the post! My young shrimp have already started to reden up a bit, not bright red yet, but alot more red than when I got them in the mail!

information.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 06:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would love to join the upcoming chat session about cherry shrimps or any other type of shrimps. I missed the past one because I found out too late.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
here's a thought: instead of just shrimp, perhaps it could either be devoted to "clean-up crews / algae eaters" or freshwater inverts.
i prefer the former. as fun and interesting as shrimp are, i think that oto cats, plecos, corydoras, SAEs, flagfish, snails, etc. would be a great supplement in order to make it worth creating a new forum separate from, or inside the "fish" forum.

Oqsy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode