2 Questions... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
2 Questions...

My first question is can you use Chucks calculator to dose Fleet enema? Second question...Do stem plants send out roots above the substrate for any specific reason? Is there some way I could stop them from doing it? It's really aggravating trimming the roots off over and over again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Chuck's calculator doesn't have an entry for Fleet as far as I can see. As for why some stem plants send out roots from the stem it's because they can. There is nothing I have found that will prevent it.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. Let me ask 1 more question...I have been dosing 1 ml of Flourish everyday in my 55. Is this enough or should i dose more? I have also been dosing 1ml of Flourish iron every other day. Is that too much or too little?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If that's all you have been dosing you are starving the plants. Take a minute and read my FAQ for suggested nutrient levels. Are you testing for nitrates and phosphates?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 11:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
You can use chucks calc to dose Fleet Enema, even though there is no entry for it. According to Fleet themselves the concentration of PO4 in their bottles is 131.36mg/ml. (http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00113.html).

In the Calc: put in 47 for grams of "phosphate in KH2PO4", select mix stock solution, and put 250 for mL of solution. That is the concentration of Fleet Enema. Ignore the solubility note on the side. Fleet uses di- and mono- basic sodium phosphate for their source. This also means your arn't getting any K from dosing Fleet.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I have been keeping my no3 at 10ppm and my po4 at 1ppm. So how much Flourish should I dose everyday? What about Flourish Iron? Rolo, I tried what you said and the calc said each ml of solution will add 0.6899999999999999ppm?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 12:07 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
If everything else fails, follow instructions on the bottle? Mine says: "Use 1-2 ml for each 50 gallons once or twice a week". Good starting point!!!

Not sure what your bottle says, but if it is the same batch as mine (they change them sometimes, making them more or less concentrated) then you are dosing 7 ml per week, which is a little more than they suggest, but if you have a high-light tank full of plants and no algae you should be okay!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 12:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

What, they actually say how to dose Fleet to planted tanks on the bottle? ROFL!

I don't see whats wrong Dogg, thats how you use Chucks to dose Fleet Enema. First off, did it really give you that long decimal? Make sure you get the most up to date version since some previous ones have major errors. Also make sure you use the amount of water you have in your tank, not 55 gallons. (55 x 0.85 = 46.75). Fleet is highly concentrated, and every gallon makes a meaningful difference.

Since Chuck's Calc doesn't have anything for Fleet thats the way we do it. If you want 1 ppm PO4, divide 1 by the answer you got. That's how many mL to dose. Just a note: one drop does NOT equal 1 mL.

So for 47 gallons of water...dose 1.35 mL of Fleet to get 1ppm PO4. Don't know how many drops that equals.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 12:24 AM
Are these real?

I guess I was reading Doggs last post, which was (also) about Flourish. Sorry for confusing you... Of course there are no tank dosing instructions on Fleet Enema. And... who is ROLF?

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

Opps, changed it. Heh heh. Didn't realize you were talking about Flourish.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Rolo, I have to use the calc on Chucks website since I have Webtv and can't download anything. Wasserpest, my bottle of Flourish says the same thing but someone on here (can't remember who) suggested dosing Flourish
everyday in small amounts. Im really getting confused here...one person tells you one thing and somebody else tells you something completely different. Oh well, if all else fails follow the directions. I guess the good people at Seachem know what their talking about....Oh and thanks for the info Rolo.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Flourish doesn't provide nitrates and phosphates. Flourish is actually a TRACE additive.

You have to remember that a tank with more than 2 wpg is actually quite rare in the aquarium hobby. As are people who do regular large water changes. Most FISH tanks that have plants in them have plenty of nitrates and phosphates. Most PLANT tanks that have fish in them need these nutrients added on a regular basis.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 02:16 AM
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogg76
someone on here (can't remember who) suggested dosing Flourish everyday in small amounts. Im really getting confused here...one person tells you one thing and somebody else tells you something completely different.
See there isn't one single 100% correct solution to everything. Dosing daily in small amounts is better then dumping it all in weekly, but most of us don't have the time or patience to add things daily. I add stuff twice a week, knowing that it works, and that it would be better to do it daily. But do I really want the plants to grow faster, and do I really want to spend more time?

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Who said anything about Flourish adding nitrates and phosphates Rex?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I put that in for general knowledge for people coming in later and reading the thread. It was never stated that you were dosing nitrates and some people might think you were holding good nitrate levels with dosing Flourish alone.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode