How do I get pearls in my tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do I get pearls in my tank?

I have had a 29gal. planted tank with a coralife top 2/65w now for about 5 or 6 months and use nutrafin diy co2. I have been having problems with algae but have almost got a balance on everything. I want my many plants to start pearling. Is pearling mostly to do with the amount of co2 in the tank or a mix of nutrients, water, and co2? The diy co2 is not nearly as constant or controlable as it is in pressurized coc from what I have learned, but can I keep putting in co2 until my plant start pearling? My main concern is if my plants dont pearl after adding more co2 that my fish will be left without o2. The diy produces about 1 bubble (pea sized) every 8-11 seconds and then heads up the ladder. I have a eheim co2 guage that recommends the green color for the right amount of co2 and I get this but dont get any pearls. It has even gone over the recommend amount of c02 which turns to yellow and still havent got pearls. I pull the tube off of the co2 bottle at night and put it back on when the light goes back on. my KH is 3.5 or 4 and ph is 6.8 which means 16.4 ppm co2 is reccommended. I could use some help. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 07:15 AM
Planted Member

Hater -
Pearling is really over-rated and the lack of it is does not mean that the fish will be starved for O2.
Pearling is a result of super O2 saturation in the water and requires close to optimum conditions to attain.
If you are not experiencing major algae issues in your relatively new tank, you are creating a balance in the tank and have no need to push the CO2 over what you are supplying, IMO.
Many people feel that CO2 ppm of between 15 and 20 is adequate to maintain good plant growth.
A major part of the equation that you are not mentioning is plant nutrition. Are you feeding them anything? You have close to 4 watts/gal. With that lighting, and CO2 injection, they will be in need of some supplemental feeding or will start to look a bit weak before long.
I suggest that you pick up Nitrate and Phosphate test kits, and test your tap water and tank water individually to see what your water's content is of these elements. These two plus Potassium are the macro nutrients that the plants need. In addition, they also should have some trace minerals in their diet.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

I have been slowly weening down my dosing because I got algae and found out the hard way that I was dosing a to much. so now I am starting to find out how much works best without growing algae. I am using 2 drops of florish from kent and 1 ml of excel from seachem every third day. Although I have been seeing the java fern with dark green and glassy tips, So I am still not to sure what is the correct amount. I have 2 sae's, 4 otos, 1 gold algae eater and 2 phantom plecos for eating the little bit of black beard algae or black spot on the edges of leaves and in the java moss. I am currently only running 1 65w bulb. My tap water is hard so I am guessing there is enough trace elements in it. Thanks len. Have you ever seen the dark green glassy looking tips on java fern? is this lack of nutrition? I guess I would like to see my plants pearl because it looks so cool, thanks for giving me info about it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 11:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Even if you are only running 65 watts over the tank you are starving the plants. Take a minute and read my FAQ. I cover suggested nutrient levels in it. Two drops of Flourish from Seachem, not Kent, is nothing, nada, zilch. And why are you dosing the Excel if you have DIY CO2?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 07:47 PM

The dark tips on the java fern is just new growth. All java ferns do this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode