Does anybody think that a UV - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does anybody think that a UV

sterilizer would be effective in fighting BBA? I know its useful on other spores, bacteria, ect. But how bout BBA? Ive watched the way BBA spreads in my tank from leaf to leaf, wouldnt it seem logical that it spreads via spores in the water column? If so do you think I could kill them with high level doses of UV? I was thinking about a 25watt Pentair unit. Anybody have any feedback on this idea? I dont want to try the peroxide route again after what happened last time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 02:43 AM
Planted Member

Although I haven't had any BBA problems, there is a nice article on it's causes and cures here . Although using a UV isn't one of the cures listed in this article, I think using one for algae control may be of some benifit as the article does state that "This can come in as some small filaments floating in the water, as water born spores or perhaps in the digestive tract of fishes". Since the UV kills all these nasties, it has to have some impact on it's probagation.

Best of luck getting rid of this stuff. I had it in one of my old tanks many years ago and was never able to get rid of it. I eventually tore the aquarium down and stated from scratch. Kind of a drastic measure, but that crap was/is a true nightmare for hobbiests.

Mark K...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #37

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Eheim 2028 Pro II - 8w AquaUV Sterilizer - 48" Aqualight 2-65W 6700K & 2-55W 9325K - (4) 3/4Watt Aqualight Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LEDs - 160lbs EcoComplete substrate - Dupla Therm 500 substrate heater w/Temp Control - Hydor ETH300 inline heater - pressurized Co2 w/pH controller - Reactor 1000 CO2 - & lots of other misc. crap
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 03:17 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
UV light is a neat little thing. It can kill a lot of the little nasties that are living in your aquarium, and help eliminate a green water attack. However, I doubt it will have much effect on killing of BBA. It may work on some of the BBA spores that could be floating about the aquarium, but once BBA gets a foothold, I think balance, good CO2 levels, and an SAE is about the only way to attack it.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

ya unfortunately I have a Buttifokeri in the tank which would probably eat any SAE that I put in there. I dont like the idea of turning it into a rock only biotope

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode