Best "center piece fish" for 20 gallon long? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best "center piece fish" for 20 gallon long?

I have a low tech 20 long. I already have 4 cories and 5 nerite snails (and a king betta- he might get moved elsewhere). I want a peaceful tank. What is a good center piece? I was thinking some kind of gourami? Are the dwarfs, honeys, opaline aggressive? I like red platys too and want to maybe add 3 or 4 of those.

4 cories
5 nerite
3 platys
1 gourami (which kind?)

Any other good, peaceful fish you can think of? I also head that gourami are known to carry disease?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160407_140553_1460242805787.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	617713  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Also....think I could keep my king betta as my centerpiece and add a few platys with him? He is gorgeous...cobalt blue with white tips and head and some red patches on his dorsal fin. Not your typical king!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 11:32 PM
Algae Grower

I would encourage you to go for a trio of male platys. I have 3 red wags and the male is especially vibrant. Of course there are tons of colours to choose from, but I think a splash of red would look great against the rich greens you have going.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
I would encourage you to go for a trio of male platys. I have 3 red wags and the male is especially vibrant. Of course there are tons of colours to choose from, but I think a splash of red would look great against the rich greens you have going.
Agreed! I love the red. I wanted fish that would pop against the black eco complete and background. Think my betta wpuld tolerate them? He doesn't mind the cory cats at all. He "schools"with them.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've kept several species of apistogramma and most seem non aggressive towards other community fish.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 02:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thick-Lipped Gouramis (Trichogaster labiosa) are very peaceful and grow to a respectable size. You would really only have space for one though in that tank. They come in a lot of color varieties though which is why I gave the scientific name. They come in red, sunset, and standard which consists of vertical blue bands on their body for males.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nlewis stole my thunder. I was thinking a double red apistogramma cocitoidi.

This isn't rocket surgery
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a 20 long with a honey gourami as the centerpiece. There are a couple different variations of them and all look great and aren't aggressive. I also think a peacock gudgeon would be cool. I have one as a centerpiece in my 15 column.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm still trying to get some nice red females, have 2 super red male platies. I like the way orange photographs with planted tanks as well as yellows and reds....so I vote for Malibu sunset platy, orange tuxedo is also really striking in person.
A 20 gal is just the right size to enjoy a few, although they are quite social and are less stressed in large groups. I have a beautiful school of about 40 platinum rainbow wags at the moment that has to go out to the shops one of these days, to make room for their younger siblings. My fishes last mated before new years, and there has still been no reproductive slowdown.
I will miss the buggers

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you decide to move the betta, why not consider a large school as a "center piece". 20-25 ember tetras or green neon tetras (depends on your color preference) could certainly make as much of a statement as a single fish.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 05:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
I've kept several species of apistogramma and most seem non aggressive towards other community fish.
...if you are prepared to feed live baby brine shrimp for the rest of these fishes lives.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazasaki View Post
..*snip*.. I also head that gourami are known to carry disease?
Really? You sure that isn't anecdotal? Some of my most healthiest fish have all been Anabantiods of several types. They all don't do well in open top tanks with cool/dry room air conditions though.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
DO NOT add gourami if you keep the ebtta in the tank. Both species are territorial and depending on gourami species (some are mouth brooders) both will want the same space for bubble nesting (surface-calm/no water movement area). Reports from people trying to keep bettas with the more common dwarf gourami (or the larger species like opaline that I would not recommend for your tank size-they should have a 40g breeder or alrger) do NOT end well.

I'd get at least 2 more of the same species of cory you already have (what species do you have? Some need 55g as they get large). they do best in shoals of 6 or more.

If you move the betta out you can try a dwarf gourami (solo or harem-1m 2-3f.. but females are hard to find as they are typically duller color) or a small group of honey gourami (most peaceful of gourami, but don't put with a betta).

Depending on species of cory (some stick to the bottom more than others) you could look into ram(s)(1 or a pair-1m 1f) as a centerpiece, but they will stake out turf and chase out the cory when they get to sexual maturity.
GrampsGrunge and GrampsGrunge like this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
If you decide to move the betta, why not consider a large school as a "center piece". 20-25 ember tetras or green neon tetras (depends on your color preference) could certainly make as much of a statement as a single fish.
I like this idea. I really enjoy rasboras. I group of them would look great against the deep greens I have.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
DO NOT add gourami if you keep the ebtta in the tank. Both species are territorial and depending on gourami species (some are mouth brooders) both will want the same space for bubble nesting (surface-calm/no water movement area). Reports from people trying to keep bettas with the more common dwarf gourami (or the larger species like opaline that I would not recommend for your tank size-they should have a 40g breeder or alrger) do NOT end well.

I'd get at least 2 more of the same species of cory you already have (what species do you have? Some need 55g
I have albino cory cats. And no I'd never put a betta with a gourami! I may move the betta to his own smaller tank.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Have a photo of your betta you can show?
Most betta owners recommend a 10g tank for kings (half giants) and giant bettas so they have plenty of swim room.
Btw love the look of your 20g long.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode