General advice needed Seaclear System ii - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
General advice needed Seaclear System ii

I just had new carpet installed and took advantage of having to move my 55 gallon 16-year-old tank with canister filter and several led lights.
I bought a Seaclear System II 50 gallon. I was very rushed to transfer fish. I transferred very little of the substrate which is a mix of eco complete and pea gravel, pulling up plants and just dropping them in.
No problem cycling. Installed one Aqueon Floramax 24-in T8. Lots to do.
So, first, can anyone tell me how to add more light fixtures to the included light compartment? It looks like it could take a total of 3 but only 1 fixture/holder was included. Would overheating be a potential problem?
Or... If I opt instead for a Coralife or similar (would that be better?) what would be best to use to cover the large hole on top here the light compartment fits?
I'd like more plant growth - maybe add CO2 - more automated the better - recommendations? I have Java ferns and cryptos- that's it.
As you can see from the pic, the plants have to be re-planted - I'll rinse and add back in some of the gravel.
Eventually I'd like some moss but not sure if that's possible. I have a population of 13 bristlenoses - may have to give them away all but one albino - all tank born - 2 zebra loaches, 5 tiger barbs and several skirt tetras and a few danios - all "glo" versions (gifts from my late husband).
I'd like to do this as well as possible. The light is quite dim so that may be the most urgent problem. I know there will be a learning curve with algae and acrylic.
Thanks for advice - I would do little if any diy - have 2 yeast co2 diy canisters but they require too much maintenance for consistency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am not familiar with your system, but since nobody has responded, I will do my best to help. I wouldn't add any more bulbs to a fluorescent light fixture. They are designed to dissipate only so much heat. Adding the components to add more bulbs would be a fire hazard. If you need to add more light, then I would just replace a fluorescent fixture with an LED. I would get a higher quality programmable one so that you can have it dialed down for now, and crank it up if you decide to go to high light plants and CO2. Remember that if you go with CO2, you also need to dose fertilizers. I would also add a few more loaches. They are very sociable and like to be kept in schools of 5 or more.

This isn't rocket surgery
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you! I looked on Amazon for an LED but couldn't find one for aquarium plants. I'll keep researching and will add a few more loaches. These two - knock on wood - are many many years old!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmworden View Post
Thank you! I looked on Amazon for an LED but couldn't find one for aquarium plants. I'll keep researching and will add a few more loaches. These two - knock on wood - are many many years old!
There are many on Amazon. Some of the favorites on these forums are the finnex, 24/7 and the current USA planted plus pro. I'm sure others will chime in on their favorite lights as well. If not, pose the question under the lighting forum in here. Basically you are looking for lights in the 6500 Kelvin range. This is the sweet spot for plants to grow. Marine lights used for growing corals are not the same as they are usually in the 10,000 Kelvin range of the light spectrum. These grow lights are expensive, but keep in mind that if you used a fluorescent light fixture, you would need to spend around $100 every 18 months on new grow bulbs.

This isn't rocket surgery

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode