Loaches in a planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Loaches in a planted tank

What are some recommended loaches for a planted tank? I've always loved the clown and kuhli loaches (among other bottom dwellers) but don't know what they would do to plants or their roots. So, what loaches do you all keep in your planted tanks?

Paul

"I'd like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Eheim Pimp Club Member #64

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 06:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The only two loaches I have personal experience with are clowns and kuhlis.

Kuhlis are great in a planted tank. Apparently they will dig in a sandy substrate, but they've never burrowed into my fine gravel. Many people here have clown loaches with no problems, but mine took a liking to a lot of my broad-leafed plants (sword, polysperma, crypts) and had to go for a ride back to the LFS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Eheim Classic 2213, community, heavily planted, 65W CF, 2x Hagen CO2

Fluval 3 Plus, nothin' but shrimp & snails, 65W CF, Hagen CO2

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 07:12 AM
Planted Member

I love my Kuhlis - they especially like to forage among the bases of my micro swords. I see them all of the time, even during the day when the lights are on. I also have 3 golden zebra botias - great for snail erradication. These two types of loaches never harm any of the plants and will not grow too large for any size tank. I find them a most welcome addition to my planted tank.

Mark K...

Eheim Pimp Club Member #37

- Eheim 2028 Pro II - 8w AquaUV Sterilizer - 48" Aqualight 2-65W 6700K & 2-55W 9325K - (4) 3/4Watt Aqualight Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LEDs - 160lbs EcoComplete substrate - Dupla Therm 500 substrate heater w/Temp Control - Hydor ETH300 inline heater - pressurized Co2 w/pH controller - Reactor 1000 CO2 - & lots of other misc. crap

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 07:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
One thing about my clown loaches (I have 9 of them, ranging from 3" to 6") is that they eat a lot. It's natural for them to munch on the plants IF you don't satisfy their needs.

I'd say that I wouldn't change a thing with my clowns & tank. It's planted - rather densely (although with cheap - common plants), never-the-less it's a planted tank.

One big plus of having them? I've never have any problem with any snails what so ever... even MTS!

They are rather smart fish. Able to memorize "good eats" & how/where to get them - once they taste your plants, then that's it.

flake food alone is a very boring diet for them - I vary their diet with live tubifex, frozen bloodworm, freeze dried bloodworm, flake, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, cucumber & zuchinni

Eheim Pimp Club Member #74
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 07:12 AM

I have kuhliis with no problems. The tank at my school also has kuhliis in a heavily planted tank, and they are actually out and about during the day.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 07:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have kuhlis & clowns they a great,the clowns have munched on a leaf or two thats about it.I built a cave for them that's where they dug it was the only place they dug in my tank. The clowns for me where getting a little big 8". Finding a new home for them.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 11:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I have Zebra loaches and Dwarf Loaches (Botia sidthimunki) in my planted tanks.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 01:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

I just ordered B. sidthimunki and striata with an LFS yesterday. Looks promising. This is the most knowledgeable individual I have talked to in the retail end, and he seems pretty confident that he can get both. The sids he said would be about $12. I've been looking for sids for almost a year, looking for zebras for something a little less than that long.

I refuse to pay online shipping for bait, so if I don't find it at an LFS, I don't get to have it.

James
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Planted Member

OFF Topic: Aquaverde, where in NY are you located? I'm still looking for a "knowledgeable individual" in an LFS in New York City.

"Save me Jebus! And I don't even believe in Jebus!!!" Homer Simpson
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 02:17 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I think Aquaverde is in the Hudson Valley.

How would B. sidthimunki do in a smaller aquarium with an SAE?

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 03:19 PM
mpb
Planted Member

I have just added 3 B. Sdthimunki in my 50g tank which has 2 SAEs.

No problems!
They are doing great and are very active fish.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Mike's right, Mario, I'm in Saugerties. The LFS is in Newburgh, B&G Pet Shop, and the gentleman I spoke to is named Matt. He keeps planted tanks himself ( ) according to our conversation, although not exclusively. I got the impression he's been in the hobby for a good while, and reeled off the latin names for the fish before I could get it out of my mouth. Beats the heck out of the blank stare I usually get when making requests.

If this works out, I'll be finding out how sids do with SAEs. I have half a dozen they will be sharing space with. (Those boys have me a little worried. They are growing FAST!)

James
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 06:52 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Skunks (B. morleti) and the dwarf chain (B. sidthimunki). Looking back, I would have to advise against the skunks. They're quite aggressive and makes the tank very chaotic.

Eric

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Planted Member

I guess I might have to take a little trip upstate, James.

And yes, SAE's eat like a horde of ravenous pigs and grow just as fast. I got my first batch as slim, little babies, not bigger than a smallish rummynose tetra. Within 9 months, the biggest one topped four inch. (Unfortunately, the whole horde died of a pretty nasty bacterial infection.)

"Save me Jebus! And I don't even believe in Jebus!!!" Homer Simpson
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:11 AM
Algae Grower

Botia rostrata are an excellent choice. They reach a maximum size of about 3 inches, they love snails as a food source, and best of all they are a very docile fish. It would be fun to have a large school of them in a tank.

My goal is a sea of green.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode