What are these creatures? - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
What are these creatures?

They appeared on my tank recently are these amphipods? they swim around quickly if i try grabbing them and they either stay still or move around and hide under the gravel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I can't really tell, you might want to try to get a better picture. They are probably scuds, judging by the shape of the white-ish thing in the middle of all your pictures.

Planes, trains, and autotrophs
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think they are, how can i get rid of them?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Those are scuds judging from the behavior description. Catch them and feed them to your fish. I have a shrimp net I use.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cut back on the amount of food you put in the tank and they will go away for the most part. They are not harmful.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by loach guy View Post
Cut back on the amount of food you put in the tank and they will go away for the most part. They are not harmful.
Okay so i don't know what i'm doing wrong but i'm only throwing one flake a day for my fish and these guys really multiplied fast! there is a really big one that looks like this andthere are so many of them i don't know what to do. I changed a good chunk of my water and sucked out as many as i could but i think they hide under the gravel
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 06:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

They hide under the gravel. Cory cats will eat them. I never had luck with traps. What kind of fish do you have?

75G Seachem Flourite

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
They hide under the gravel. Cory cats will eat them. I never had luck with traps. What kind of fish do you have?
My problem is that i have a few neon tetras and they don't eat those pods at all
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 06:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

How big is the tank? You can possibly do a co2 nuke.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One man's junk is another man's treasure. I was excited to see these things in my tank while I was cycling a 10 gallon to house Scarlet Basis. This is what they primarily eat. How big is your tank? is there anything else in the tank other than neons? Do you plan on adding anything else to the tank? If you cut back on food their population will shrink. If you want to be completely rid of them for good though, you will need to put something in there to constantly hunt them down.

This isn't rocket surgery
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
How big is the tank? You can possibly do a co2 nuke.
5 gallons running one bubble per second of co2

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by loach guy View Post
One man's junk is another man's treasure. I was excited to see these things in my tank while I was cycling a 10 gallon to house Scarlet Basis. This is what they primarily eat. How big is your tank? is there anything else in the tank other than neons? Do you plan on adding anything else to the tank? If you cut back on food their population will shrink. If you want to be completely rid of them for good though, you will need to put something in there to constantly hunt them down.
Can i just move them to another tank and empty out this tank and they'll die out with no water right?
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 07:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Do you you have a lot of shrimp or the like? Put all of your fauna in a bucket with an airstone or sponge filter. Once you have the livestock you wantto keep safely housed dump several bottles of sparkling water into your tank. That is pure carbonated water. Anything in that tank that moves aint going to make it. it may fizz for a few hours. Make sure you shut your filter off while you do it (or move it to your buckets and run it) as it wont make it either. When your done vacuum the bodies off the bottom and do a water change.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 09:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm with the loach guy, I'd love to see these living in my tanks, beats having MLS or planaria. Given enough hunger I'd bet your Neons would happily go hunting for these morsels.

I have Cyclops and Ostracods in my 85 gallon pond and know the WCMM and Rosy Barbs are eating well on some fine live food.
thedood and thedood like this.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

Last edited by GrampsGrunge; 04-21-2016 at 09:55 PM. Reason: ....
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 09:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have them in my shrimp tank. I feed them to my Altolamps.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 11:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Neons should be in a tank that is at least 10 gallons. You might want to think about swapping out your neons for a micro-predator like a scarlet badis or maybe a pygmy sunfish anyway. I have heard white cloud mountain minnows rid tanks of these in no time like gramsgrunge suggested.

This isn't rocket surgery

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode