UGF reuse ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
UGF reuse ?

I have a 150G salt water tank and UGF setup. I would like to switch to fresh water and plants/fish. I have access to hydrilla, a fairly aggressive and hardy plant. can I reuse the pea gravel and UGF? Do I need to switch to a sand base for the plants to root better? Can I still use the UGF setup, if I go to sand?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I use a UGF but I reversed the flow. For my tank (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...ml#post5226001)it works really well.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

ugf reuse

thanks for the idea, never occurred to me, to pump into the bottom of the sand bed UGF.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sand will sift between the plates, fill the void underneath. Many plants will grow OK in gravel, but when I ran several tanks with RUGF (Reverse Under Gravel Filter) system, the plants that grew best were the ones that grew off the plate. (Tank was an awkward length, plate did not cover all the bottom).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
This was my inspiration: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...-past-diy.html

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 03:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Over the years I have run UGF normally and reverse flow, on FW and SW tanks. At this point, I dpn't use them at all, although as you can see, there are some people out there that like them and still use them.

In my opinion, they work OK, but other more modern methods can work a lot better. Their one advantage I see is that they are very cheep to buy.

I found that in planted tanks, the roots really grew through the UGF plates and in time made any replanting difficult, because you would heavly damage the root system when you removed a plant.

What I do wonder is how you ended up with a 150 gal SW tank with a UGF. They haven't been common in SW tanks for something like 25+ years.

As for the "gravel" in SW tanks being reusable. This is usually either crushed coral, or aragonite sand or dolomite sand. All of these will add a lot of hardness to a FW tank and are best avoided for most systems. I would replace it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

UGF reuse

I have had the tank for about 20 years. Due to job changes and house moves, it has sat empty for a couple of years. I was thinking about restarting the tank as a fresh water and using some of the pest weeds that grown freely in the local waters

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode