Watersprite question- - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Watersprite question-

I am the owner of the "HUGE" watersprite plant that is over 2 ft tall. Every few weeks I pinch the top few inches off of it due to brown, mushy leaves. What causes this to happen, is it from being too close to the light possilby?? Thanks-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 05:43 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Could be due to lack of nutrients from reaching to the upper extremities. That's a very tall plant and this might be the case. Is it evident in some of the tips of the plant as well?

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

By tips do you mean the ends of the branches? That is where I pinch, the top 3-4 inches. No harm done, the plant is use, I was just wondering what made the ends get a mushy look to them. Watersprite is a water column feeder correct IBN?? Thanks-

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

By tips I meant, tips of the plant in general, and not necessarily the topmost branch that you're pinching off.

Watersprite gets its nutrients both from the water column and through its root system. Hence the reason why it can be used as a floating plant or anchored down. When it is rooted, it can become a pretty heavy feeder (that plant of yours must have an extensive root system), which you can test by just tugging on it by its base.

Eric

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 12:45 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I don't plant water sprites anymore. They invariable grow too big, and removing them once they are old and overgrown is a major aquascaping event. Trimming off the top of the leaves works, but it looks ugly. After all, it is a fern, and the shape of the leaves as a whole is important for its overall appearance. You can just remove the oldest leaves, but again, they grow to monsters anyway.

I just let them float nowadays. They grow little adventitious plants, and when they start to shade too much the go to compost heaven, and the little sons or daughters take over.

I am experimenting with a plant that I planted upside down
It was floating on the surface for a while, then I turned it around and let it float some more, and when it grew roots I planted it. It seems to have it slowed down a little

This must sound funny to all those who can't get watersprites to grow.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 01:25 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I love the watersprite plants and learned a quick lesson for the large ones ... they need lots of nutrients in the water column ! Its almost an irritating amount that they demand to stay lush.
Smaller plants thrive easily but as they grow , they are nutrient pigs. The trick comes in when you try to decipher "when is enough". Its a beautiful plant but as Wasser stated... they can be a handful.

The easiest thing is to take small ones and rotate the stock...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 05:41 AM

Watersprite grows way too fast for me.. like I can literally watch it grow. I started with one mother plant and now I have huge surplus of watersprite just sitting in buckets!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for answering. Is there one nutrient that it needs more than others, and also I do not use C02, but being a low light plant I figured that was not a problem. Also, can I just cut the good looking portions and plant them in the flourite right away?? Yes, I agree you CAN actually watch it grow from day to day...I like them alot. Thanks FL
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 08:25 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Most likely macronutrients, such as nitrate. You're correct in assuming that you can just cut parts of it off and replant the clippings.

Eric

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

I do add nitrate in the form of stump remover to keep it about 10 ppm. Thanks IBN!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode