Hairgrass help, please:? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hairgrass help, please:?

I have 2 tanks those have hairgrass carpet (both very high light). Suddenly in both tanks, many of the tips of the hairgrass turn brown (first tank is 1 year old and the other 3 month old). All the new runners are all healthy green. I admit that sometimes I skip my nitrate and PO4 dosing and both levels bottom out for couple of days. I'm sure it's not caused by Ca deff. since I have a very high GH.

So my questions are:
1. Does hairgrass have any seasonal thing like Apon. (stop growing or turn yellow close to winter like lawn) ?
2. Are those brown tips mean older parts of the grass those will die anyway? I don't trim often since they don't grow tall at all but spread heavily. I think my overboard light intensity is the culprit here.
3. Is it caused by occasionally 0 level of NO3 or PO4?
4. Can it be caused by lack of iron dosing? Or should I stick root tablets underneath?
5. Does hairgrass need to be pulled out and replanted after a certain period of time?

Any suggestions and tips are appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 02:42 PM

I don't think its too much light, and hairgrass doesn't need to be replanted or have a dormant period like apons.

I really think it's your NO3 and PO4 bottoming out, and possibly not enough iron.
do you dose a trace, or just macros? I assume you're getting K from KNO3?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 03:41 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
I would suspect that it's due to #s 3 & 4, and can be attributed to lack of fertilizers (macro and micro). I noticed a similar thing happening to mine when I have been neglectful in my routine.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 08:48 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I would agree with Ibn.

You are running good light, and the plants are doing very well, but since they are lacking nutrients they are starting to bottoming out. There are not enough nutrients to sustain growth. Any energy the plants have is going into producing runners and I would guess that those runners will slowly decrease as well.

A good fertilizing regime will probably do wonders.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the inputs. I've started to increase my iron and trace dosing already but didn't help. I just cannot keep up with N and P since both levels bottom out very fast. I've been checking for the last 2 weeks and both levels have been going to 0 within 2 days. It's frustating since my job requires me to be away from home often.

Would it help if I increase the dosage straight away? I'm thinking of dosing PO4 to 1.5ppm and Nitrate to 20ppm to avoid any 0 levels. Would this cause problems ?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 12:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak
I'm not sure with PO4 but with nitrate its fine as long as you don't go over 20ppms.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 03:31 PM

maybe you can get one of those Eheim liquid fert dosers, and mix up some PMDD-ish mixture to dose while you're away.
having levels bottoming it will surely stunt the plants. Even if you could keep 5ppm nitrate and a little phosphate (.5ppm) on a steady basis the plants would do better.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

That's what I'm worried about also Pufferfreak. The tanks are algae free right now and I really don't want to go thru the hell period anymore.

Malkore, that's a really good idea and I think I really have no choice but getting automatic dosers. Even right now I'm away from home again for 5 days at least I have to browse around to see if there are any other choices beside the Eheim. I need something smaller also for my small tank. Any idea? I really don't mind about the price. It's either to get those or I have to give up my planted tanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode