New 37g Setup suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 37g Setup suggestions

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I've had a few tanks in the past but nothing recently, so I've decided to put my old 37 gallon column tank to use.

What I really want is to have a moderately planted natural looking setup with a pair/trio of German blue rams as the centerpiece fish with a school of 10-12 dither fish (most likely cardinal tetras) and perhaps some hatchet fish. Since the tank is tall (20Lx18Wx24H) I was really hoping to have fish to fill each level of the tank.

I've decided to go with the SunSun HW-302 Canister Filter and am now trying to figure out what heater to go with. I thought a 200w heater might be overkill for 37 gallons, but then a 150w might have a tougher time keeping the tank as warm as GBRs like and I don't want the heater running all the time.

I could also use suggestions for lighting. I would prefer a low-tech setup as I don't have a ton of $$ to spend on the tank and don't want to spend a fortune on lighting.

Any advice/suggestions on any aspect of my setup would be appreciated.

*To be clear, I understand that GBRs can be "fragile" and I plan to have the tank up, running, and cycled for at least a few months with my dither fish before purchasing any rams.

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance!

Tags
gbr, heater, lighting, low tech, naturalistic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode