What's a reasonable price? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By lksdrinker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What's a reasonable price?

Im looking to sell a few things( not here since they're pretty big so I can't ship) I was wondering what yiu guys think is a reasonable price for these items?

65g comes with
-stand
-lights (pretty good to grow plants)
-heater
-filter (worth $320 in stores)
-plants
-fish (just some harlequins, guppies, platies, cories)
-decor (3 pieces of mopani wood, and rocks.)
-gravel

7.9g Rimless (Fluval EBI)

-mat for underneath the tank
-3D background
- filter and media ( not worth much. Maybe $30 in store)

So if you guys could just tell me how much you'd pay for it that would be great. A friend of mine said $300 for the 65g and $50 for the EBI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Not sure on the pricing of these items, but what I have done in the past is look on CraigsList and see what the going rate is for similar items in my area. The price for things in Chicago is VERY different for the same item in Indy. The price can also change dramatically in a few weeks based on supply and demand.

Ben

I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
-J.R.R. Tolkien
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 09:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Where are you located??

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 09:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie7778 View Post
Im looking to sell a few things( not here since they're pretty big so I can't ship) I was wondering what yiu guys think is a reasonable price for these items?

65g comes with
-stand
-lights (pretty good to grow plants)
-heater
-filter (worth $320 in stores)
-plants
-fish (just some harlequins, guppies, platies, cories)
-decor (3 pieces of mopani wood, and rocks.)
-gravel

7.9g Rimless (Fluval EBI)

-mat for underneath the tank
-3D background
- filter and media ( not worth much. Maybe $30 in store)

So if you guys could just tell me how much you'd pay for it that would be great. A friend of mine said $300 for the 65g and $50 for the EBI.
I'd list it here in the local forums first and just dont offer to ship.

I buy lots of stuff used and have a few comments for you at face value. I suppose these only come into play if you're looking to sell to someone already in the hobby and might not apply to a potential buyer who is looking for their first tank.

Dont say how much the filter is going for at the store. Thats usually a dead giveaway to me that someone is looking to prove why they're asking for more money than something should be listed for when its used (and stores typically run sales quite often so no one is looking for the top dollar price from a store).

Be specific. No one who is already in the hobby is looking for a "light that is pretty good to grow plants".

I personally think including the livestock hinders a potential sale. If I'm looking to buy a tank its either because I need to re-home something or I have an idea for what to do next. Including common species that you can find at any LFS sounds like more of a problem than a benefit. If I buy the livestock now I have to rush through everything to get it all home set it up quick and keep your fish alive.

$300 for the 65 and everything else sure sounds like a lot to me for a used setup. I always use $1/gallon as the most expensive price I'd pay for most tanks when new. Used I aim for .50/gallon. Granted a 65 gallon tank is a bit above the standard sizes so I might understand asking for say $60 for the tank alone. Another $20 or so for the stand. Since you dont specify the lights, heater, filter I'd say maybe $50 tops for those bringing you to $130 plus the plants, fish, decor and gravel which I dont think is worth more than maybe another $50 at the absolute highest (but probably a stretch at that). If I were selling it I'd feel comfortable asking for $200 knowing I might only get $150.

As far as that other tanks go, I'm amazed at the prices people are willing to pay for anything that you can say is "nano" or "rimless". If I'm recalling this particular one correctly, it used to go for a little under $100 new from the store? And that was just the tank and light I think? You've got the fancy mat and 3d background and a filter that works for it so I'd consider asking for $85 or so and be willing to accept $50 if the offer comes.
Hoppy and Hoppy like this.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm going to give you something else to think about. I bought a used 150 and it started to leak in about 6 months it was the biggest pain to take it down with 70 fish and full of plants. I have change my mind when comes to used. If it over 55 gallon I buy new. Yes it is a lot more money but I have not been disappointed. Just make sure it holds water for three days if it's empty when you see it. Also most used tanks go for about 1.00 per gallon tank only. I would say 200.00 for the 65 would be a good price.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode