leech-like worm in my 10g? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
leech-like worm in my 10g?

hello people!
glad to join this forum
i am a certified newbie in planted tanks!
i buy my plants at various lfs within toronto, not sure where the origins are...
my ? is - is it possible that those plants carried an egg or eggs or baby leech? i just saw a 3/4 in beige-colored leech-like worm inside my tank mingling with some ramshorn snails. it moves like an inch worm, the thrusting end has a dark tip and the lagging end has a wider body and has a black line that looks like the end of its digestive system.
will it pose a threat to any of the inhabitants of my 10g?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
It probably is a leech, I had a couple at one point. Depending on the size of your fish, I should think the leech would have more to worry about. They never caused any problem in my tanks, but there's a definite hefty eww factor.

James
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 04:56 PM

I don't about that leech thing that you have but, yes, some plants come w/ eggs attached. I recall someone here using a dip solution to sanitize their plants but I forget what it is.

You think that thing will suck on you when you're doing maintenance?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
While they probably wont cause any problems, I would remove them as I find them. Eventually you will wipe them out by removing them before they are able to reproduce.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

I got a leech with plants. He ate snails and was much fun. I kept him in a jar, and not with my fish. I think there were more in the tank, but they were eaten. Most leeches are predators and NOT bloodsucking parasites.

But they are kinda gross...neat in a jar, gross running wild in your tank. I kept mine on my desk by my computer. He only lasted a few months but I enjoyed him. (Please replace all masculine pronouns with hermaphroditic ones.)

Give the fish time to eat them, rinse the sink out really well after cleaning your filter, check the fish periodically for sucking leeches (who knows WHAT you actually got?), and you'll probably be OK.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode