I'm new to planted tanks...some questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Kit

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi.
I have been amazed at everyones planted tanks. I recently bought a 29 gallon tank. I'm going to put a ballast running 2 flouresant light strips. I have a AquaClear 300 Power Filter on the tank.

The Questions I have are if I was going to inject Co2...(theres a system where I live for about $90...) , what else would I need to do to the plants. I kind of want to stay away from liquid fertilizers (for the reason of staying away from chemicals), would the tablets be better?

Also...Would I need a layer of flourite under my gravel with co2 or is that only if your not going to inject it.

I am hoping to keep a tank with 7 tiger barbs, a red tail shark, and a bulldog pleco.

Can you recomend any plants?

I was thinking the following..

elodia, java moss, bannana plant, and tape grass.

any suggestions and info would help...

Thanks

Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 02:31 PM

For a beginner with plants, 100% Flourite is a great way to start, but it's not mandatory. You can have success with less or even plain gravel it just makes success easier to obtain at 100%.

Your plant list is fine, though you may want to consider adding Java fern, Anubias and possibly some fast growing stem plants like Rotala indica or Ludwigia repens.

Fertilizing is completely dependant upon the amount of lighting that a tank receives, the substrate, the species of plants in the tank, how heavily the tanks is planted, what the fish/bio-load is, and whether CO2 is injected. So you see it's not really a question that can be answered without lots more information.

Just to illustrate, for heavily planted tanks with CO2 injection and 2-4wpg of lighting, it's routine for those tanks to receive lots of liquid fertilizer in the form of potassium nitrate, potassium sulfate or chloride, chelated iron, and a trace element mixture. In addition we add solid fertilizers deep into the substrate monthly or bi-monthly in the form of Root Tabs, Flourish Tabs, or Jobes Plant Spikes for Lush Ferns and Palms.

Don't get to hung up on the phrase of "I don't want to add chemicals to my tank"...many poor websites and even LFS employees will preach this bad information. Water, plants, and animals ARE a combination of chemical elements. The important issue is to add the correct and needed chemical/elements at the proper dose and time.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Kit

Cool!

Thanks for replying. I am probably going to put some java moss and some java fern and attach it to my rocks and just expierement with some plants before I have a reall "planted tank".

It says on other websites that these two plants grow well with "low" lit lighting.

How will I know what to run when I get to my LFS? Any lights recomended?

Sorry, I am just full of questions ...

Thank you again

Kit :P

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 12:56 AM

I Would say your good to go! But on the fertilizer note, I would reccommend it. I have a 33 gallon heavily planted tank with the stock bulb plus a ten gallon strip (extra light or turned on by itself at night for the "moonlighting" afect) and my plants gre fine until i started using the fertilizer, all you do is put in the instructed amount every 2 weesk/ month and your plants will do great! ALso, remember to keep your lights on fourteen hours a day for proper plant growth. I keep mine on from the time I wake up till the time I go to bed, and all my tank inhabitants are healthy and happy! Keep us posted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode