Urgent question on regulators... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Urgent question on regulators...

Does the Milwaukee have a built in check valve like the JBJ? Is the JBJ check valve really just alota hoopala or is it something worth some extra bucks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:19 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
The Milwaukee doesn't have a built in check valve. I added a check valve to my Milwaukee, and it works just fine.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
In my opinion, the only difference between the two regulators is the features, the JBJ gives you the check valve which has worked fine on mine but has factory set line pressure which I have commented on before. The Milwaukee has adjustable line pressure, which I find a very useful feature but you need to add a check valve which can run anywhere from $10 dollar on up for a good one that has a stainless steel spring and ball.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
opening soon

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks momo and g-g, your info helps alot!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
One thing I really like on JBJ's is that you can remove the single needle valve and replace it with a 2 or 3way manifold (JBJ makes one for direct replacement)...then you can end up with 3 seperate lines each with their own bubble counters and seperate flow rates (need 2 more bubble counters...again which you can get from JBJ)

THis is very convenient when you run multiple tanks where the CO2 is either always on, or is on with the lights. This doesn't really help you with a pH controlled setup though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Gromer, how much extra do these extras cost? Manifold, bubble counters, more needle valves?

Is there any compatability issue when using the Milwaukee pH controller with the JBJ regulator?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The SMS122 will work with pretty much any solenoid activated regulator, it has a controlled outlet with a standard household plug that is switched off and on according to the set point.

I do like the manifold that JBJ offers, it's a good unit from what I can tell and very reasonably priced. However, looking at my JBJ and the Milwaukee, the manifold would work on either the JBJ or the Milwaukee, both units have needle valve / bubble counter assemblies that screw into the solenoid (1/8" NPT). As for the bubble counters, JBJ has the advantage there as Milwaukee doesn't sell them seperately, but there are quite a few bubble counters available for less than $20.00 that would work with either application.

It is also possible to use such a system with a controller, although you would need a seperate controller and solenoid valve for each line to do so which obviously would start to run up the cost of setting it up quickly.

opening soon
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

To clarify:

The JBJ manifold will work on the Milwaukee regulator as both units have a needle valve / bubble counter assembly that screws into the solenoid valve.

I do not think the bubble counters themselves will interchange though, however, if you use the manifold, any bubble counter you use would need to be an inline type, I'm not sure if the bubble counter available seperately from JBJ is, but I've seen one at Pet Solutions I think for about $10.00.

opening soon
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks everyone for their very quick help! I've made my decision.

Glass-gardens, I sent a pm.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:00 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass-gardens.com
To clarify:

The JBJ manifold will work on the Milwaukee regulator as both units have a needle valve / bubble counter assembly that screws into the solenoid valve.
I thought removing the needle valve from the Milwaukee regulator would possibly break the unit and certainly void any warranty? I suppose one could link the manifold to the build-in bubble counter without removing the needle valve at all.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm really not sure about the warranty, I never have gotten a definitive answer from Milwaukee on that yet, but I assume it will to be safe. If you break it while doing so, it definitely will though. I got mine apart with no real problems, the sealant they use is tough to be sure, but if you use the right correct wrenches it comes out with a bit of ummmph. I assume if you trash the JBJ while removing the valve you're history on the warranty as well.

You could hook the manifold up right off the bubble counter, but the problem there, as far as the JBJ manifold goes is that it has a 1/8" NPT nipple, you'd need to replace it with a hose fitting, barb or compression.

I've got my JBJ so rigged up now, any warranty issue is out the door. I have it plumbed to three tanks with three needle valves using nipples, tees and needle valves. I'm in the process of arguing my wife into controllers for each line, but I have to wait for her to buy a new purse or something each time to get the moral high ground.

opening soon
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 01:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Re: the check valve--here's what I don't understand: the fact that the bubble counter is part of the Milwaukee means it would HAVE to have a check valve functionality so that the bubble counter water doesn't enter the solenoid & the regulator. Or am I missing something here?

removed

John P.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi John,

First, please edit your post to remove the link to my photo so my bandwidth quota isn't being wasted.

In and of itself, with no pressure factored in from an active reactor or siphon effect, the amount of water in the bubble counter isn't going to put enough pressure on the solenoid valve to force water into the regulator assembly at all, once it's in use though, it could definitely be an issue although I've never played around with it to see just what it would take to force pass the valve. When the gas is flowing, obviously it isn't going to be an issue.

When gas isn't flowing though, the fact that the water in the bubble counter is going to be very acidic from it being saturated with CO2 would lead to corrosion issues if it got into the regulator itself.

A check valve makes it a non-issue and is cheap protection.

opening soon
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Are you saying we need a check valve between the bubble counter and the solenoid? I'm not so sure if that is possible.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No, the check valve goes on after the bubble counter.

opening soon

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode