Help! Questions! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help! Questions!

I hope you remember my setup frfom last week. I had a 29 where the plants were faing due to my lack of knowledge. This weekend I started my DIY CO2. After killing my first batch of yeast and some other problems it finally started bubbling into the filter yesterday afternoon. The new light fixtures are on order. I also got more gravel to make the base from 2.5 inches in the front to about 3.5 in the back. I also mixed in "laterite" as a source of Iron on the advice from the pet store guy. I had to replant everything which stirred up a lot of sediment. I changed 5 gallons to help cut down on the sediment and will do that every other day until the Nitrates come down.

Test readings pre-CO2
KH - 3 pH - 7.2 (CO2 - 4ppm) Nitrates are through the roof (Deep blood red test).

After those readings I dosed about 3/4 teaspoon baking soda to raise the KH and finally got the CO2 running. After 12 hours of CO2:
KH - 5 PH - 6.6 (CO2 - 48PPM)

I turned the bubblers on and hooked up the biowheel to keep the water agitated overnight so the CO2 wouldn't go bonkers. The fish seemed stressed out and are zinging all over the tank. I think it is just a lot of change for them in a short time. I ordered a phosphate kit but it will take a few days.

A few questions:
1) How do you regulate the CO2 on a DIY system? I hooked up a dual gang valve but shutting down the inlet will give too much back pressure and it really is only on and off on the empty (vent) valve.
2) What level of KH is workable?
3) What about that Laterite stuff is that good enough or should I spike?
4) I am thinking the CO2 will balance off once the plants get a good day of light. Am I right?

Thanks in advance and feel free to answer question that I didn't know to ask. I will get some pic's up once the sediment dies down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
That a very high CO2 level for a DIY generator to achieve. Are you sure of your pH levels? How are you diffusing the CO2?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am diffusing the CO2 directly into the intake of my HOT Magnum. It's been making about 2 bubbles a second. I also tested it fairly close to bed time where It had not had a full day of sunlight to run. Plus, those are calculated amoutns so they may be off some. I will test again when I get home as it has been runnig all day.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode