Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Advise needed for growing plants and for fertilizers

Ok here's the specs

75G
4*55 PC (2 * 10,000K & 2 * Acitinic) + 1 * 40W Normal Output Flours. Tube
Pressurized CO2 (inline reactor)
Eco Complete

The tank is atleast 6 months old. I am trying to grow Glosso but it never grows, I can see the new shoots/plants growing from it, but its not spreading. I am keeping the CO2 around 20ppm

I dose Seachem Flourish once a week and Flourish Iron 3 - 4 times a week.
Some of my other plants, such as Aponogenton is turning yellow and some of them have holes in it.

I have Rotala macrandra that grows ok, but its not red and doesn't have big leafs on it. I accidently left one floating and can't believe my eyes that how red that plant turned out with lush big leaves. Any clues?

Ok the most important question is that Actinic bulb helping me any or do I need to replace it? I don't want to spend money on changing the bulbs unless it will help out my plants

Any comment is greatly appreaciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 08:07 AM

Have you dosed any nitrate and Phosphate? If those two things are 0, your plant growth will be stunted.

Actinic bulbs don't hurt the plants but don't help much either. I think your tank doesn't have enough light intensity. Changing those 2 actinic bulbs to 6700K bulbs will give you nice natural color and also make the tank brighter.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
FMZ
Planted Member

I dont have tester for Phosphate. Is there something I can buy off the shelf that has both nitrate and Phosphate??

I think i'll change the two acitinic bulbs if they don't help me grow plants better. Any websites I can get them cheap from?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 08:20 AM

www.ahsupply.com bulbs are quite cheap but make sure they have the same base as yours.

You can get nitrate test kit easily and cheap at Petsmarts, Petcos etc. Just don't get the dip test. It's a bit hard to find PO4 test kit (at least in my city) so I usually order it.

You have a good set up already for high light tank (if you change those 2 bulbs). It's a waste if you don't get it running properly. Get some KNO3 and fleet enema once you have the test kit. If your tank has been running for 6 months and densely planted, I'm pretty sure the plant growth slow down if lack of those macro nutrients.

So the only costly upgrade you need are the bulbs and test kits. KNO3 and fleet enema are very cheap and will last you forever
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
FMZ
Planted Member

I have the NitrAte test kid from AP...not the test dip crap. I dont have a phosphate kit and wondering where can I find it..maybe at petco and petsmart? Where do i get the KNO3 from and fleet enema?? What is fleet enema anyways?

Just ordered 2 PC 6700K bulbs from AHsupply
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 08:42 AM

I've never seen PO4 test kit in any Petsmarts or Petco around here. You can order it from bigals or drsfostersmith.

You can order KNO3 from Gregwatson.com He doesn't charge much for shipping either.

There are several way to dose PO4. I choose fleet enema. You can get fleet enema from drugstores (over the counter). It's for constipation. If you're embarrassed to ask, this is how it looks like : http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...Y-PLST-0-BRAND

Dosing it is easy. If you use the bottle, just count the drops. After I tested a few times, 1 drop will increase 0.1ppm of PO4 for each 10gl (approximately).
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 12:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Get a Red Sea nitrate and phosphate test kit. I mail ordered mine from www.PetSmart.com.

Then once you know your phosphate levels go to www.gregwatson.com and get the bulk chemicals you need to properly fertilize your tank. And while you are at it get rid of the actinic lights. Right you you actually have a 2 wpg tank and that's pretty low for Glosso in a tank that size.

Take a minute and read my FAQ. Once you get the lighting situation corrected you will need to know the correct nutrient levels so as to avoid algae.

Your current fertilization regimen leaves a LOT to be desired. You are basically dosing traces (Flourish) and iron but none of the macro nutrients. You have been able to get away with it for a while due to the lighting situation.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
FMZ
Planted Member

The light will be hopefully here by the end of the week. I have a NitrAte kit from AP, is it any good? I'll go ahead and order the Phosphate test kit from petsmart and if required, i'll get the nitrAtes test kit too. I dont have any major algae problems in this tank, used to be when I started, I had good amount hair algae now its all gone. What kind of macro nutrients do you suggest I get from gregwatson?

Thanks
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
IMHO the AP nitrate test kits drags. The Red Sea will measure down to around 2.5 ppm whereas the AP starts at 10 ppm.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
FMZ
Planted Member

ok i'll order both test kits...will let you guys know when it comes in
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:44 PM

IMO, AP nitrate test kit is good enough. Mine read from 0-5-10... It's good enough since I just need to dose close to 10ppm. It's not a great test kit but good enough for my purpose Of course Red Sea has better test kits and if you order online, you may as well get those.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Planted Member

I agree with ninoboy. I find the AP kits very useful and most importantly consistent from kit to kit, which is not always the case with all kits.
None of the hobby level kits are 100% accurate. I use mine as a reference tool.....did it go up.....did it go down, and not as an exact measurement.
BTW, the charts read 0 - 5 - 10 - 20ppm etc.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
The trouble with the AP kit is that it can be difficult to discern what the reading is. I will absolutely agree that none of the kits for the hobby are overly accurate, but the color read out on the AP kit is particularly difficult, at least to me!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
FMZ
Planted Member

My nitrAte is 10ppm...i don't think i'll have to dose any nitrAtes, but just in case, i'll order nitrAtes from GregWatson.com
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
FMZ
Planted Member

Ok quick question, how's the seachem phosphate test kit?? The red sea test between 0.1 to 3.0 ppm and seachem from 0.05 mg/L to 3.0

I think i'll go buy seachem phosphate kit from LFS

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode