Looking for anything...DIY aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Looking for anything...DIY aquarium

...to help me build an aquarium.

I need articals, advice, tips, whatever that gives a shread of info in building your own aquarium. If you have built your own, please let me know anything you feel is important that a newbie must know! I've got a very rough understanding of bit and pieces picked up here and there - just no full article or guide to follow.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rolo; 09-13-2004 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 04:59 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
the most important tips i can give you:

1- use ONLY 100% silicone. make sure it says only silicone as the ingredient.
2- use the right glass thickness for tank size.
3- once you assemble the aquarium, DO NOT MOVE IT until the silicone is completely cured.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 12:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Just wondering why you would want to build your own aquarium? For standard sizes it really hard to beat the price of a commercial tank when one figures the cost of materials and labor involved. For larger tanks many people build them out of plywood and fiberglass the interior. But we are talking LARGE tanks here, ones that require concrete slabs as a floor material.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm not looking to save money, though building your own can. My primary purpose is to have a choice of high clarity glass, no seems, and less silicone smears. In short - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=10056

I'm looking into one that is 30"-36" long and about 16" high. A plywood tank won't be necessary since those are mostly made for very large tanks/marine/Cichlid. I also don't want to work with the harmful epoxy again. I've built a wooden kayak before, and while it was a satisfying, it was a lot of work and hassle.

Well there you have it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Probably already seen this, but http://www.thekrib.com/TankHardware/

Well, at least my algae is pearling...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks zapus. I learned more new and helpful info. I'm still in need of a full guide or tank plan to follow. Something that pulls the pieces together.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I believe I found a good article to follow. http://duboisi.com/diy/BNdiytank/bndiytank.htm This particular guide shows how to build an acrylic aquarium.

For the most part it is clear, but there is one part that the author stresses in all caps, "YOU MUST USE "CELL-CAST" ACRYLIC SHEET, THIS CANNOT BE OVEREMPHASIZED!". Doesn't explain. Anyone know why?

Any money saving tips too? I called several acrylic manufactures, and as of now only got a quote from one. $220 for 3/8" Cell-Cast acrylic! The article says you can find it for ~$110 - 130 - And they were referencing a piece that was about 30% larger then what I need.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Cast acrylic is much stronger than "normal" acrylic. And the price is going to vary as the price of oil changes.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok - so cast acrylic is a must. I've only had time to get 1 quote, so I'm sure I can find a cheaper source. That cost also includes all cutting and routering/smoothing of the edges for a better bond seal.

BTW, how long does it take for the "yellowing" of acrylic to become noticible? And anyway to slow the process?

Last edited by Rolo; 09-17-2004 at 11:32 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode