Do aquarium heaters thermometers not monitor real time? - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do aquarium heaters thermometers not monitor real time?

The Aqueon Pro heater is advertised as being "monitoring real time" so I was wondering if that means that normal thermometers do not monitor in real time?

So would that mean that it measures like every 5 minutes or something like that?

Thanks.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 11:32 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would imagine that it's just marketing/advertising.

I could theoretically market the analog thermometers as "eco-friendly, requiring no tedious battery changing!" and it would be technically correct.
Chibils and Chibils like this.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Aqueon pro heaters uses electronic thermostat whereas most other heaters do not.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would like to add, every electronic heater I've owned has failed within a year or two. Whereas, the analogue heaters have lasted me much longer. The only analogue heater I owned that failed was 15 years old. Circuit boards and water...ya know.
BrassFinger and BrassFinger like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Run if you see an electrolytic capacitor..... very limited lifespans at elevated temperatures.
AWolf and AWolf like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 01:17 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWolf View Post
I would like to add, every electronic heater I've owned has failed within a year or two. Whereas, the analogue heaters have lasted me much longer. The only analogue heater I owned that failed was 15 years old. Circuit boards and water...ya know.
I agree. I can't imagine a worse environment for any sort of electronic circuit than an aquarium (fresh OR salt). While theoretically an electronic thermostat can have better accuracy and a smaller deadband, the old school snap-action thermal switch heater is robust and simple, provided quality parts are used.

Mechanical heaters have a better chance of failing "on" due to contact point sticking compared to the electronic heaters that just quit working due to controls failure. The solution is to run twin mechanical heaters at 1/2 the wattage requirement each to minimize the chance of cooking your fish if one fails "on" before you notice.

I run Aqueon mechanical heaters in all my tanks with no issues, although they are not that old yet.

Chris
AWolf and AWolf like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you want to be pedantic, mechanical thermostats encased within a bunch of plastic and glass will probably lag water temperature by quite some time.

That is actually desirable to an extent, if the heater was switching on and off too quickly it would severely reduce its lifespan.
Chibils, Chibils, AWolf and 1 others like this.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I would imagine that it's just marketing/advertising.

I could theoretically market the analog thermometers as "eco-friendly, requiring no tedious battery changing!" and it would be technically correct.
I don't like anything with the word " Eco" in it. Its usually code word for something that is poor quality. However, I could see that might work with some people.
Chibils, Chibils, AWolf and 1 others like this.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
10 gallon betta tank
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have had my aqueon pro for over 3 years and it is still going strong. I really like these heaters.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassFinger View Post
I agree. I can't imagine a worse environment for any sort of electronic circuit than an aquarium (fresh OR salt).
This reminds me of some arguments over the short lifespan of some LED lighting fixtures over aquariums. Those circuit boards are failing at rates that keep me out of that market for now. I don't care for our 'throwaway culture'.
BrassFinger and BrassFinger like this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 01:04 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWolf View Post
This reminds me of some arguments over the short lifespan of some LED lighting fixtures over aquariums. Those circuit boards are failing at rates that keep me out of that market for now. I don't care for our 'throwaway culture'.
Indeed. I am just running a pair of 8.5" clamp light reflectors with CFLs over my newly set up 20H tank to hold me over until I make a decision on what LED light I want to invest in (if any). This is just a low tech tank with pool sand substrate for the corydoras and BN pleco and a bunch of the usual beginner plants, Flourish/Leaf Zone and root tabs.

I chuckle when I read about how much in electricity and bulbs you'll save with an LED fixture that lasts 50,000 hours but then see how many people have them fail in less than 2 or 3 years (<10,000 hours). The LED chips aren't the problem...it's everything else around them. Quality costs $$.

Chris
Nordic, Nordic, Chibils and 3 others like this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I love the spiral bulbs. Supposed to get so many hours out of them. Heck I've opened 3 4 packs of one brand and two of the bulbs are dead in less than an hour. So much for the environmental side of that.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 09:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I love the spiral bulbs. Supposed to get so many hours out of them. Heck I've opened 3 4 packs of one brand and two of the bulbs are dead in less than an hour. So much for the environmental side of that.
Dont forget they contain mercury and are supposed to be disposed of properly too.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassFinger View Post
I agree. I can't imagine a worse environment for any sort of electronic circuit than an aquarium (fresh OR salt). While theoretically an electronic thermostat can have better accuracy and a smaller deadband, the old school snap-action thermal switch heater is robust and simple, provided quality parts are used.

Mechanical heaters have a better chance of failing "on" due to contact point sticking compared to the electronic heaters that just quit working due to controls failure. The solution is to run twin mechanical heaters at 1/2 the wattage requirement each to minimize the chance of cooking your fish if one fails "on" before you notice.

I run Aqueon mechanical heaters in all my tanks with no issues, although they are not that old yet.

Chris
I have LED light but I tried to seal all the cracks with Silicon sealant(aquarium safe version) in hops to keep water out of the electronics.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
According to the EPA, you have to wear a hazmat suit to dispose of a broken one. Very toxic light. I heard that GE(general electric) is going to discontinue making all of those types of lights.

10 gallon betta tank
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post

According to the EPA, you have to wear a hazmat suit to dispose of a broken one. Very toxic light. I heard that GE(general electric) is going to discontinue making all of those types of lights.
Every fluorescent contains mercury. Bulbs made today contain a lot less than previous bulbs.
IIRC it was the GE bulbs that fail consistently. Phillips has been decent.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode