How much aquarium Salt for a black Molly ? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Diana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
How much aquarium Salt for a black Molly ?

I have a black Molly which was not doing well. I added Aquarium salt along with the melafix in a hospital tank.

The fish is swimming around a lot more. I added exactly what the salt direction said which was 1 rounded tablespoon for every 5 gallons.

However that is for a normal fish, I understand that molly can even live in a Salt water aquarium.

If the salt maybe it killing whatever is making the molly sick, should I add more aquarium salt and if so, how much more?

I also have a hydrometer that I purchased(but never open) for a salt water aquarium project. I would possible use that as well to measure a correct amount.

Thanks.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yes, they can live in a salt water aquarium. I had a black molly that just couldn't shake some skin fungus/infection issue it had. I treated a few times in quarantine until it appeared to be gone, but it always came back once treatment ended. I moved it to my salt water tank, and it lived there happy and healthy for 3 years.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp999 View Post
Yes, they can live in a salt water aquarium. I had a black molly that just couldn't shake some skin fungus/infection issue it had. I treated a few times in quarantine until it appeared to be gone, but it always came back once treatment ended. I moved it to my salt water tank, and it lived there happy and healthy for 3 years.
So is there some kind of measurement I can go by with the standard aquarium salt product?

Double the dosage perhaps?

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Half way to ocean water is 1 tablespoon per liter of water. You are about 1/4 or more of the way there, though a 'Rounded' anything is difficult to assess.

A hydrometer made for marine aquariums won't measure low levels of salt. I doubt it will show your current level very well. It might, though, and it is worth taking it out of the package and trying.

When adding salt for a fish GO SLOW.

1 tablespoon per 5 gallons is a lot to add all at one time. If the fish is OK at this level, give it a day or two to get used to that amount before you add more.
Mix the amount of salt with some water, and add it slowly over several hours. I would not add more than 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, not even a rounded tablespoon, every couple of days.

It might be that the amount you have in there now is all you need to add.
WaterLife and WaterLife like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode