ATM Colony Freshwater Fixes Bacterial Bloom in New Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ATM Colony Freshwater Fixes Bacterial Bloom in New Planted Tank

Hi Aquascapers! This would be my first post so please be a little gentle with me. I just want to share my experience with ATM Colony Freshwater. This stuff really works in terms of getting rid of bacterial bloom. Though I am still observing if this would really cycle my tank in just few days as what the bottle claims.

I have just recently restarted my 50 US Gal tank 9 days ago as I have replaced my normal gravel with Borneo Wild 2 substrate for plants. Everything was doing great; water is crystal clear, very minimal sign of diatoms and few thread algae on the hairgrass mini and plants growing really well without fertz yet. In fact, my stem plants are now 2.5 inches taller. On the 7th day, I thought, it's time to put in some clean-up crew. So I decided to put in 6 Amano Shrimps in the tank for starters (ammonia is 0.25, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is around 5-10). The next morning, I am surprised that my crystal clear water became really cloudy. I knew is was bacterial bloom as it is cloudy white; not green. I know I'd only need to be patient and the bacterial bloom will eventually disappear. So I decided to visit my LSF and thought maybe I'd get 4 more amano shrimps to get rid of the diatoms and other algae while waiting for the cloudiness to clear up. The guy in the LFS then suggested I use ATM Colony Freshwater. I went home, did a 40% water change then I dosed the entire bottle in the tank. Yep, you read that right! The water became more cloudy! Then I thought, I'd just let the thing do its work and see what would happen the next day. When I woke up the next morning, I was so surprised on how clear the water my tank has become. There is definitely a huge difference when compared the night before. I went out for work, came back home and I was really surprised and happy that the cloudy water is now again crystal clear. It literally fixed the problem in less than 24 hours!
Plants are doing alright and no amano shrimp casualties. Also, my ANUBIAS IS PEARLING!!! I thought anubias does nor pearl?

Current reading as of this writing (ammonia = 0.25, nitrite = 0, nitrate = 10). All I got to do is do another 30-40% water change tomorrow (10th day) and ammonia should drop to zero.

I have attached a photo of the current look of my tank.

Regards,

Juriboy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160310_214450-1-1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	602913  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2smiuhn5hog.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	602937  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
It's always interesting when someone's first post is a glowing product review.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I thought they discontinued this product already? What you have there is bottled bacteria. Its essentially a bacterial bloom in a can (unless the bacteria is dead or expired already) so it doesnt' really "fix" bacterial bloom nor is bacteria something you want to get rid of in a fishtank. The unsightly cloudiness will go away on its own with or without adding bottled bacteria.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Certainly no affiliation with this product I'm sure
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
I thought they discontinued this product already? What you have there is bottled bacteria. Its essentially a bacterial bloom in a can (unless the bacteria is dead or expired already) so it doesnt' really "fix" bacterial bloom nor is bacteria something you want to get rid of in a fishtank. The unsightly cloudiness will go away on its own with or without adding bottled bacteria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike00726 View Post
Certainly no affiliation with this product I'm sure
Hmm, interesting... if it was a bacterial bloom in a can then I doesn't explain why my water suddenly became clear the next day. Isn't that supposed to make the cloudiness worst? Also, my shrimps are doing alright. I know that these bacteria take huge amount of oxygen. I do not use any air bubbles in the tank. Just a cannister filter and 2 small powerheads. My water parameters are the same when I checked it again this morning.

Ammonia is 0.25
Nitrite is 0
Nitrate is 10

Today is my day 2 since I dosed the entire bottle in the tank. I will be doing a 50% water change when I get home later to drop that ammonia down to zero.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode