Entire tank of fish dropping dead - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (6/100%)
Entire tank of fish dropping dead

In the 25 years I've been keeping fish I've never seen anything like it. All of my fish are dying. I have 6 panda cory's 8 tetras 3 dicrossus filamentosus 1 apistogramma 3 otto catfish.

It started with the ottos which were the newest acquisitions. Now the dicrossus and tetra's are dying.

I'm really bummed I liked my fish. The tetra's were really rare I've never seen the type before.

No sign of disease. The only thing I can think of doing is a water change.

Every day I wake up there are 3 or 4 dead fish.

If I loose all the fish I'm just going start over with the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 07:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Anywhere close to Flint Michigan ?
Would maybe surmise some type of contaminate accidentally introduced to the tank when all fish begin dying in short order.
Aerosol's,lotion's,or possibly new plant's that have been sprayed at grow out facilities to protect them from insect's when growing emmersed.
Parasites introduced from new fish could also be possibility but usually some symptom's can be noted (ie) wasting disease/skinny fishes, flashing,abnormal stool.
Other hands (children) with access to the tank?
Maybe also increase in chlorine/chloramine content in source water if from the tap.
Sudden temp loss,or heater that malfunction's and cook's the fish (Have seen this).
CO2 too much?
Hope you are able to get past the loss.

Last edited by roadmaster; 03-09-2016 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Addition
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 11:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Just how new are the otos?

First thing to do is check water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and even pH, GH, KH, temperature as they can indeed be really helpful figures especially on aged tanks)
Get those test results before doing a water change (you can fill the test tube vials with tank water, then do an immediate water change before testing those vials if you feel it is an emergency to change the water).

Just would like to know some other info. How often would you do water changes and what % of water volume change?
Is the tank dirty, debris-wise?

Really double check all the fish and look for any symptoms that may help ID what is wrong (physical signs and behavioral). Even any small signs, such as red gills, faded color, inactive, rapid breathing, gasping at water surface, flashing, darting, swimming odd, fin rot, whitening of eyes, increased aggression, more skittish, some fish no longer hanging around their normal group, fish skinny, white/clear poop strings, bloated, red blood streaks in fins or body, etc.)

On a side note, maybe we can ID your tetra species. Pic would help most, but a description may suffice.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I've been racking my brain over this also. It's not the heater the temp is steady and no electricity in the water. I do a 40% water change once a week and I double dose seachem prime. The fish were all eating one day and dropping dead the next. I added the ottos 2 days before the fish started dropping dead. The ottos were eating the day before they died. They were the first to go. The rest of the fish had been in the tank for a month with no problems. The remaining fish are eating and acting normal as of today. I added some crypts from petsmart at the same time I added the ottos. The crypts were from sealed packages with the roots in gel. I rinsed the roots off as usual and planted them.

One thing I'm questioning is I have a bad diatom algae outbreak from adding seachem root tabs. Could the root tabs leaching into the water cause the deaths?

The tank is clean and taken care of. I was going to do the black out meathod to clear up the alagae. I was also thinking about changing substrates. I'm using tahitian moon sand and I was thinking about switching to eco complete.

So far I've lost 3 tetras 3 otto's 2 dicrossus and I haven't seen my cory's thier hiding. I have a clown pleco also but it's still alive.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Root tabs can cause issues depending on the type. Do you have any test kits? That is what I do first when something goes wrong.

Ben

I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
-J.R.R. Tolkien
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantsome View Post
I've been racking my brain over this also. It's not the heater the temp is steady and no electricity in the water. I do a 40% water change once a week and I double dose seachem prime. The fish were all eating one day and dropping dead the next. I added the ottos 2 days before the fish started dropping dead. The ottos were eating the day before they died. They were the first to go. The rest of the fish had been in the tank for a month with no problems. The remaining fish are eating and acting normal as of today. I added some crypts from petsmart at the same time I added the ottos. The crypts were from sealed packages with the roots in gel. I rinsed the roots off as usual and planted them.

One thing I'm questioning is I have a bad diatom algae outbreak from adding seachem root tabs. Could the root tabs leaching into the water cause the deaths?

The tank is clean and taken care of. I was going to do the black out meathod to clear up the alagae. I was also thinking about changing substrates. I'm using tahitian moon sand and I was thinking about switching to eco complete.

So far I've lost 3 tetras 3 otto's 2 dicrossus and I haven't seen my cory's thier hiding. I have a clown pleco also but it's still alive.
Did you quarantine the ottos or just add them directly to the tank? If you added them directly to the tank then you almost certainly have a disease outbreak that wiped out your tank. Parasites, bacteria, or viral infections can wipe out a whole tank in a week flat.

Look for any sign of odd behavior in the fish or signs of disease. Many internal infections don't show any symptoms until it is too late.

In the future, always make sure to quarantine new fish for 3-5 weeks before adding them to your main tank. This is often overlooked and the number 1 cause for deaths in the aquarium.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Damn root tabs. I don't know how, but they can mess you up. I don't care what anybody says, they have created unexplainable issues every time I've used them. I don't get near them with a 10 foot pole.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yea I'd say either root tabs or the ottos. I've introduced new fish that killed the whole population. I try not to make that mistake again but it's not always easy to quarantine them if you're low on space.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Without testing or more info on how they die, it is pretty much a guess but I might suspect some ammonia/bad water. Possible to have stirred too much when planting, etc.? Anything else done that might have killed the bacteria?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 03:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
You have pressurized co2? Have you checked the high pressure gauge? Perhaps "end of tank dump"?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode