Kordon Ich Attack using in planted tank??? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 87
Kordon Ich Attack using in planted tank???

I notice that some of my fish are having ick on their body and fins. It is a 53 gallon with a lot of plants, 12 cardinal tetra, 5 panda cory, 1 L333 pleco, a pair of german blue ram, a pair of apisto and a pair of checkerboard cichlid in it. I am wondering if i can use kordon ich attack to clear it?
Cookie_discus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:35 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
lksdrinker's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NY; LETS GO METS
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_discus View Post
I notice that some of my fish are having ick on their body and fins. It is a 53 gallon with a lot of plants, 12 cardinal tetra, 5 panda cory, 1 L333 pleco, a pair of german blue ram, a pair of apisto and a pair of checkerboard cichlid in it. I am wondering if i can use kordon ich attack to clear it?
Heat treatments work very well for ich. Slowly raise the temp up to 88-90 degrees plus and keep it there for 10 days after you last see a white spot on a fish.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
lksdrinker is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 87
I have a concern with the panda cory and the plants for high temp.
Cookie_discus is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
lksdrinker's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NY; LETS GO METS
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_discus View Post
I have a concern with the panda cory and the plants for high temp.
Plants should be fine. What temp do you normally keep the tank at? Panda cories like it a lot cooler than your GBR like to begin with.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
lksdrinker is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: US
Posts: 2,862
Out of all the treatments for ich out there (which most of them I have tried), Kordon Ich Attack is the only one I highly recommend.

I observe fish behavior (signs of distress) a whole lot and by far that med is the gentlist treatment for ich. I swear it even has a soothing (theraputic) effect on the fish. It's not only extremely gentle on fish, it's even safe for inverts, plants and even sensitive and "scaleless" fish. And it's organic herbs. Nothing to worry about dosing your whole display tank. Doesn't get much better than that. If you know a better treatment option, let me know!

To keep this from being a long winded post as I have gone into depth about my experiences with all the various ich treatment options in past posts. I will just say that I've tried the heat only and salt+heat combination methods before and the fish would clearly be stressed out and some plants would melt (pretty much most except hardy anubias and java ferns). Overall just not what I'd call satisfactory results. I haven't tried the salt only method, but I'm sure some plants would definitely melt and some fish species wouldn't tolerate the increased salinity.
The more extreme and the longer the exposure/duration, the harder it is on the plants and fish. I pretty much consider those methods just as harsh as strong chemical meds.

By the way, Kordon Rid Fungus is the same as Ich Attack (same ingredients, just different label for marketing). Not to be confused with Kordon Rid Ich (Formalin, Malachite Green formula).
WaterLife is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
Plants should be fine. What temp do you normally keep the tank at? Panda cories like it a lot cooler than your GBR like to begin with.
I normaly feel the temp at 79 and they all happy with it. Right now I just raise up to 82.5 abd I notice the corys are kind of stress. Are they gonna be fine with high temp for few days only?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Out of all the treatments for ich out there (which most of them I have tried), Kordon Ich Attack is the only one I highly recommend.

I observe fish behavior (signs of distress) a whole lot and by far that med is the gentlist treatment for ich. I swear it even has a soothing (theraputic) effect on the fish. It's not only extremely gentle on fish, it's even safe for inverts, plants and even sensitive and "scaleless" fish. And it's organic herbs. Nothing to worry about dosing your whole display tank. Doesn't get much better than that. If you know a better treatment option, let me know!

To keep this from being a long winded post as I have gone into depth about my experiences with all the various ich treatment options in past posts. I will just say that I've tried the heat only and salt+heat combination methods before and the fish would clearly be stressed out and some plants would melt (pretty much most except hardy anubias and java ferns). Overall just not what I'd call satisfactory results. I haven't tried the salt only method, but I'm sure some plants would definitely melt and some fish species wouldn't tolerate the increased salinity.
The more extreme and the longer the exposure/duration, the harder it is on the plants and fish. I pretty much consider those methods just as harsh as strong chemical meds.

By the way, Kordon Rid Fungus is the same as Ich Attack (same ingredients, just different label for marketing). Not to be confused with Kordon Rid Ich (Formalin, Malachite Green formula).
Just bought a bottle of Kordon ich attack and did a first dose. Ya I think moss are not doing fine with high temp for even in short period. I read about the kordon rid ich and I think is kind of too strong for a planted tank and some fish.
Cookie_discus is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 595
Try buying a powerful UV sterilizer and change the water a lot. Maybe sure you use Prime or something that detoxify the resulting Ammonia which results as a byproduct of water conditions with Chloramines.

The UV sterilizer will in theory prevent the ich from spreading/reproducing and then you have to wait until they end their life cycle.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
SpaceLord is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: US
Posts: 2,862
For the UV sterilizers, in theory they make sense, but from research I have done, no one has yet been able to fully cure a ich outbreak. In practice, there are so many variables which even the best set up tanks with the most knowledgeable aquarist with the best UV sterilizers, still have not been able to fully cure a ich infestation. Some always manages to survive (not pass through UV) and keep the water contaminated (even with daily water changes/vacuuming). There have even been reports that some ich may go through all it's lifestages within the host (not common, but I guess it's rare possible occurrence).

Now UV's are a great tool that do benefit fish health, increase redox potential and kill free floating pathogens. Even if someone did manage to actually fully cure a ich outbreak with UV sterilizers as the only treatment, then great, but given not many/any are able to succeed, chances of most users trying to eradicate ich with just a UV are very slim.

And not all UV's are made the same (different classes, UV clarifier vs sterilizer). The ones that would actually work in killing free floating ich, do cost quite a bit. Significantly more than any other treatment for ich. But yes, UV's are useful in their own right, I just wouldn't recommend it as an efficient ich cure. If you are considering getting a UV for other purposes, then go ahead and try it if you got it.



But anyways, for the Corys at 82*F, they can tolerate that fairly well (summer temps), but much higher and they can really start to stress. Which stress is not a wanted addition as the fish are already stressed and weakened by the ich infestation. Plants should be fine at 82*F as well.
With Kordon Ich Attack (and other meds), raising the temp is not at all necessary. You do want to find a balance though, on one hand you want to speed the ich lifecycle up to end treatment quicker since long durations of exposure to meds is also harmful/stressful, and on the other hand, you want to reduce exposure time to meds, but you also don't want to induce excess stress from the uncomfortable temps. So you find a balance between stress more so through heat, or stress through med exposure.

With Ich Attack, I would not worry at all since the fish tolerate it extremely well. There is still the stress from heat. When using Ich Attack, you could either use no heat increase at all, or just elevate temps to 82-84*F max (again it's not necessary, but it can end treatment time sooner and save your a bit on med dosing since you wouldn't have to dose as many days. I would personally just say 79-82*F, as higher stress solely from the heat is doing more harm than good).

Make sure to remove activated carbon, turn off UV's, and maybe even skimmers, when using meds for treatment. Be sure to treat for an additional 3-4 days after no more visible ich spots/cysts are seen. Increasing surface agitation may be recommended. If the ich outbreak has progressed to a severe case, doubling the dosage may be advised (even says so on bottle).
WaterLife is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 08:48 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 75
Ive tried using the ich attack for a few weeks, in my experience it was enough to stop things from getting out of hand but not enough to fully cure ick. I ended up using rid ick plus finally worked but still took a very long time. I have a 29 gallon planted tank with 6 corydoras sterbai. I have heard of the ick attack working for many people just didnt work for me. I would definitely try the ick attack if no progress in a few weeks i might try using the kordon rid ick plus. Stains the tank blue and the corys definitely do not like the rid ick plus but all my 6 sterbai pulled through. I had to use the whole bottle of rid ick plus i think it took almost a month. Im hoping things go better in your case. Just send a pm if you have any questions ill help as best i can.
Swimnschools is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 87
After the treatment is finish do i need to add some carbon into the filter to remove the ich attack?
Cookie_discus is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome