Canister filter have to be middle or can it be on the side with long hose/short hose? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Canister filter have to be middle or can it be on the side with long hose/short hose?

Canister filter have to be middle or can it be on the side with long hose/short hose?

I normally seem them setup with the canister filter in the middle under the aquarium in the middle however I have an aquarium without access to the bottom of the cabinet so the only possible place I could place a canister filter would be to either side of the aquarium.

If I did have the canister filter on one side, I might have to have 1 long hose(perhaps the water intake hose) all the way to the opposite side of the tank then the water hose perhaps being the short hose( perhaps so the pump won't have to pump the water as far)?

Does anyone know if this will be ok or if there is a reason this should not be done?

Thanks

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've run mine in the past w/ a long hose/short hose setup. Sometimes you don't have much of a choice. My 10 Gallon I had was on a counter so the canister had to sit beside it. When I had my 40B I had the canister out to the side a lot because of easier cleaning.

And the pump should work regardless of where it is pushing the water to or from. I will say I've always gone the inlet side for short giving me more freedom with the spray bar placement.

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
It doesn't make any difference.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

As long as the hoses are fairly straight it seems OK. I have had problems when the hoses are so long there is a dip or curve in the path.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Won't matter much . What matters is the head height , i.e. how far up the water needs to be pumped . Pumping from the canister to a tank on a normal height stand won't be an issue . Canister on the floor pumping up to the top tank on a 3 tier rack could well be.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoldguy View Post
Won't matter much . What matters is the head height , i.e. how far up the water needs to be pumped . Pumping from the canister to a tank on a normal height stand won't be an issue . Canister on the floor pumping up to the top tank on a 3 tier rack could well be.

If the canister is in the stand or on the floor maybe almost no difference on how high it is. The stand height is only as thick as the wood on the bottom floor piece which is maybe an inch or something.

Do you know which hose should be the long vs short hose?

The intake(siphon) or the return water(connected to the pump I assume)

Thanks

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
10 gallon betta tank
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
The return should be the short hose.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have my intake and output on the same end. The return to the tank (spray bar) is near the top directed across the surface somewhat with the flow the long way across the tank. The filter intake is below it near the bottom and I seem to get a nice circular flow across the top and then back again across the bottom. As the filter is located near the same end both hoses are pretty short. If you are going to have one hose longer than the other I agree the return to the filter should be the longer of the two.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr125 View Post
I have my intake and output on the same end. The return to the tank (spray bar) is near the top directed across the surface somewhat with the flow the long way across the tank. The filter intake is below it near the bottom and I seem to get a nice circular flow across the top and then back again across the bottom. As the filter is located near the same end both hoses are pretty short. If you are going to have one hose longer than the other I agree the return to the filter should be the longer of the two.
Will a longer return hose street the motors more to be pumping the water a greater distance?

The siphon will just use gravity and suction from water following water down the hose.

If this is the case, why would it not be better to have gravity move the water the greater distance and have the pump move the water up the shortest distance?

Thanks.

10 gallon betta tank
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 03:01 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post
Will a longer return hose street the motors more to be pumping the water a greater distance?

The siphon will just use gravity and suction from water following water down the hose.

If this is the case, why would it not be better to have gravity move the water the greater distance and have the pump move the water up the shortest distance?

Thanks.
Not sure about fluid mechanics but the explanation using basic physics (newtonian mechanics?) would explain your question. The only force acting against the flow of water is gravity and gravity only acts in the vertical direction (height). Thus lateral movement can be neglected since no lateral resisting forces are present. All other forces would be equal since its the same exact hose and would have the exact same fittings either way. Even if some other force is present, I'm sure it's small enough that for our purposes it can be negleted.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 03:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoldguy View Post
There is an "opposite" problem as well.. Canister head usually needs to be lower than the tank rim (more correctly, water line)..sometimes by a few inches..

you actually have more "headroom" below the tank than above the tank..

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-08-2016 at 03:40 AM. Reason: edit
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 04:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
For my ehiem 2232 it didnt matter. I did have the intake at one end and the out at the other end and my caniser was on the side of my tank with no issue. I have tried swapping both and had no issues.

Right now my short tube is on the intake and long tube on the outtake and both are on the right side, still no issue. Have a circulation pump on the left side to circulate the water in a clockwise motion. This also helps diffuse more co2 before actually entering the tank.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 06:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Once the pump start's the flow of water into the filter, gravity takes over just like syphoning water from a hose.
Pump does not have to work all that hard after that.
If you fill the hose that draw's water from the tank (close the valve on end of hose) when priming the filter ,you see how gravity work's when the water rushes into the filter when you hook up the hose and open the valve.
Pump only need's to start the syphon .
Doesn't really have to pump too hard after that due to gravity.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virc003 View Post
Not sure about fluid mechanics but the explanation using basic physics (newtonian mechanics?) would explain your question. The only force acting against the flow of water is gravity and gravity only acts in the vertical direction (height). Thus lateral movement can be neglected since no lateral resisting forces are present. All other forces would be equal since its the same exact hose and would have the exact same fittings either way. Even if some other force is present, I'm sure it's small enough that for our purposes it can be negleted.
From my experience designing sprinkler systems I can tell you there is another factor working against the flow of water. It is the resistance of the water flowing through the pipes, tubing, fittings, anything it passes through. The result is pressure loss. This is figured just as pressure loss due to increase in elevation is. In this application it is probably so little it's not a real factor at all but it still is better to have the pump move the water through as little of this resistance as possible.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Jr is right. There are a few things at work here. "Head" doesn't really apply, as a canister filter is a closed system, unlike a sump, where head matters a lot.
Increasing the vertical distance between the aquarium surface and the canister filter will increase (positive) pressure on the seals, which can lead to leaking, and it will lengthen the hoses, which increases resistance/friction as described above. You will notice that resistance when blowing through a garden hose to empty it.
Depends on the pump, but many impeller pumps work better pushing water than sucking it. So I think in many cases having a longer outflow and a shorter inlet beats the opposite. Otherwise, "cavitation" can occur. It's something you can try though - some canister designs behave differently than others, depending on the location of the motor etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode