I Am New Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I Am New Help

I am new at keeping live plants and i just got a 29g that i want to turn in to a planted community. I am on a tight budget so i need some help I plan on using EcoComplete for my substrate(20lb bag good?) I plan on keeping moderate to low light plants . what kind of lighting should i use (low cost but work good)? Any com. welcome Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Planted Member

Your tank will need a minimum of 2 watts/gal. to have a chance at success, IMO. Unfortunately, lighting is one of the most necessary and also the most expensive items to consider when setting up a planted tank.
I don't know what how your personal cash flow is, but my advice is to not skimp on lighting. 60 watts, or so of compact fluorescent lighting would give you the opportunity to grow many varieties of plants. This is, by most people's standards, still a moderately lit tank, but a good starting point. If you have a hood that came with the tank, you can 'retro-fit' it fairly inexpensively with light kits from here:
www.ahsupply.com/ Check out the site and you'll get an idea of the cost for what I think you'll need.
I like a deep substrate, and would suggest that a minimum of 35 - 40lbs. of it will give you a pretty good base for growing plants.
I'm sure others will add their thoughts and ideas as well. These are not gospel, but suggestions.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Welcome Rob

Here is a company with some very good pricing on lighting...

http://www.aquatraders.com/catalog/i...fb4e23dbd5d09b

I have never used this brand so I can't say what the quality is like.

Here is a link to help you with how much gravel you will need...

https://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

You will need a least a gravel depth of 2"

He who angers you, controls you!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Nice site trenac. That is some very cheap lighting! The CF fixtures are made by Jebo, the one everyone calls the Eheim clone.

I've been reading a lot about their products and cruising foreign aquarium forums. I've found them to be very high quality. Many non-North Americans swear by them - the filters, lights, pumps, uv sterilizers, aquariums...they make a ton of stuff and for VERY CHEAP. I'm going to order that Jebo 828 filter, the one that only cost $49.99. Here people don't know they have been around for some time and are very popular in other parts of the world.

Rob, the lighting looks like a good deal since your on a budget - and even if you are, skimmping on lighting now will set you up for buying more, wasting money, in the future. The 24" 110W would be nice but it puts you at high light. But IMO, I would go for more over less. You could grow pretty much anything well with that lighting (with CO2 also) and can just pop a bulb out if it is too much.

At least two bags of eco-complete should do you well. If your heart is not set on the black color of eco-complete, you can save a lot on shipping by buying fluorite. Use this Big Al' ad to price match it for $11.99 at Petsmart.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 01:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Rolo... Thanks for the info on this product brand, I also was thinking about ordering that same filter for my 55G tank. Let me know how that filter works for you.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 01:55 AM

Those Jebo lights come w/ 10,000 CF bulbs .... isn't that too high? I thought 6700 was optimal for planted.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 02:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I believe the K value really isn't critical. It is more an Aquarius preference. 10,000K are usually bright white or can have a slight bluish color. 5000K are more yellow and 6700K are somewhere in between. Hagen makes an 18,000K bulb that is purple. I have the GE 9325K which is pinkish. You get the picture...and they all grow plants.

Wow, I just realized that site sell 2 55W 10,000K bulbs for only $10.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 04:36 PM

either everyone else has outrageous mark-ups or that site is too good to be true.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode