Transition to High Tech - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Transition to High Tech

Hey guys it's been a long long time posting on here but I haven't given the hobby up.

I am currently into low tech right now but want to transition to high tech.

I was planning on getting a paintball co2 tank setup. Below is the complete list of things I was going to get.

20oz paintball tank
Aquatek Mini Solenoid
NilocG Thrive all in one ferts
A ceramic disk infuser of some sort

The only thing that I am worried about is my lighting. Currently I am running a Finnex Stingray and know I need high light for co2

What light do you recommend and does everything else sound like its on par with being correct?

Any help/suggestions/experiences is greatly appreciated

Here is the tank I am putting this on:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457314971.623856.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	601113

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
As a recommendation, you don't necessarily need high light for CO2 at all. CO2 will increase growth and health in pretty much any lighting situation. It is really the opposite of what you suggest--in high light, you need CO2. In low light you don't, but again, you'll get faster growth and have an easier time with some plants. It can also stave off algae by helping plants grow optimally.

I run low to low-medium light on my small spec v (5g) and still use CO2 for all its beneficial effects. But, that was to achieve the goals I wanted for this tank. What are you wanting to do with the tank that you want CO2? What are your tank dimensions, setup, etc.?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:17 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
you dont need high light for co2, it can just cause issues quicker. i just took the plunge to injected co2. i built my setup for under 300 with a dual stage regulator and a 10lb bottle. i wouldnt even bother with a paintball tank unless its a 10 gallon tank or smaller.

btw my light is a finnex 24/7 on 24/7 mode

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok so maybe some specifics to that setup...

I never ran pressurized co2 before and have heard and seen good results from other members here. To clarify I am really just looking to get really good sense plant growth I am bored with the tank I posted and want to give it a revamp with some really lush plant growth that has some red etc.

As far as the setup details here they are:

Mr Aqua 11.4 rimless tank
No heater
Dual sponge filter
Finnex Stingray light

Inhabitants:
7 CRS

So you mention you don't really need high light with co2 however won't my low light throw the balance off and thus create algae when I convert to ferts and co2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slythy View Post
you dont need high light for co2, it can just cause issues quicker. i just took the plunge to injected co2. i built my setup for under 300 with a dual stage regulator and a 10lb bottle. i wouldnt even bother with a paintball tank unless its a 10 gallon tank or smaller.

btw my light is a finnex 24/7 on 24/7 mode

How do you like that light? That's the one with the remote right?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-07-2016 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
some one is selling the reg your looking for if need it https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/15...ator-mini.html

Bump: also i have a stringray on my 29g and I just added http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-Beamswork-Tropical-Fish-p/56375.htm with the stringray and both lights are doing great..tons of light with nice growth.. I also have that reg on a 24oz co2 tank its worth it!! had it for a little over a week and I have seen nice growth already!! about to get two nice packages full of plants so I can really stock the tank with color!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:07 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECKSPEED View Post
Ok so maybe some specifics to that setup...

I never ran pressurized co2 before and have heard and seen good results from other members here. To clarify I am really just looking to get really good sense plant growth I am bored with the tank I posted and want to give it a revamp with some really lush plant growth that has some red etc.

As far as the setup details here they are:

Mr Aqua 11.4 rimless tank
No heater
Dual sponge filter
Finnex Stingray light

Inhabitants:
7 CRS

So you mention you don't really need high light with co2 however won't my low light throw the balance off and thus create algae wihen I convert to ferts and co2?
Okay, so that will be a reasonable amount of light to start off with, given the depth of the tank + substrate.

As far as imbalance with ferts, the answer is no. You will have to add ferts once you start adding CO2 just due to growth. But with low to low-medium light, you'll just need a bit less. Adding a bit of a surplus will not cause algae and lower light will ease up the speed at which algae will grow, giving you more time to correct whatever is causing it. You just have to be sure the plants' needs are met first. What method of fertilization are you planning to use? I would stick with that light, dial in ferts/CO2 and see where that gets you. Once you're confident and don't mind the growth increase (and everything it entails), then by all means shoot for a bit more light. Just take it easy and incrementally to keep up with increased demand. Also be prepared for higher possibility of algae.

FWIW, I am using a modified (lesser) EI dosing scheme with my low light tank, combined with 50% or more waterchanges each week to prevent buildup. It hasn't been set up for more than 2 months, but it has very little algae and fert demand is low and reasonable. Plant growth is moderate, but not ridiculous, which reduces maintenance and actually allows me to keep up with trimming. I never wanted a ton of growth to begin with, given such a small tank.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was going to go with dosing the thrive I get 3x a week then water change on Sunday at about 30%

Also for what it's worth I was going to use a paintball co2 setup for two reasons.

1) easily fill able for me I live near a shop that will

2) Space is limited and idk if I want a huge 5lb tank sitting around, my nephew likes to look and touch my tanks...

Although if you guys suggest otherwise then maybe I could be swayed.

How long does a 5lb tank last versus a paintball tank?

Also what diffusers do you guys suggest?

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 12:53 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I was going to go with dosing the thrive I get 3x a week then water change on Sunday at about 30%

Also for what it's worth I was going to use a paintball co2 setup for two reasons.

1) easily fill able for me I live near a shop that will

2) Space is limited and idk if I want a huge 5lb tank sitting around, my nephew likes to look and touch my tanks...

Although if you guys suggest otherwise then maybe I could be swayed.

How long does a 5lb tank last versus a paintball tank?

Also what diffusers do you guys suggest?
I am honestly not as familiar with nilocg's all-in-one, so I can't advise on that. The only downside I see as that everything will be confined to a set ratio, though even that is fine as long as plants get enough. As far as water changes go, just be sure that you compare the amount of ferts added to the dilution the water changes introduce. If you don't add as much, you may be able to get away with lesser volumes of water changes. It looks like 50% changes are recommended with 3x weekly dosing, according to nilocg, though.

The main advantage of a 5 lb tank is less time between fills. If the paintball tank is more convenient despite higher frequency, then stick with what works better. Personally, I don't want to fill often, so I opt for larger cylinders.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Like others said, you don't need high light to use CO2. In fact, I'd argue that you should intentionally not use high light. Are you sure you want to move to CO2? Are you doing it for any reason other than you just feel like it? I've had CO2 on my tank for a few years now and while it isn't a ton of work or anything, I'll be going all low tech for future tanks.

Last edited by ktownhero; 03-08-2016 at 08:34 PM. Reason: edit
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish
Definitely invest in a 5 lb CO2 tank. I've used 24oz. paintball tanks with the exact same regulator you plan on getting, and I got great results, changing the tanks every 2 months. But for some reason my paintball tanks don't last 2 months anymore. The tops of them are bent for some reason. Probably my own damn fault for not putting the regulator, or teflon tape evenly.

$7 to refill, I'm approaching the point where I could buy a 5 lb, so that's what I'm going to do.

CO2 is a high up-front cost, but definitely worth it and you'll notice the plant growth. Start with CO2 with your current light setup and then decide if you want to change it.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now does the bubble per second directly correlate to the amount of light? As in higher the light more bps or lower light less bps?

Thanks for your help guys

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 07:29 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Now does the bubble per second directly correlate to the amount of light? As in higher the light more bps or lower light less bps?

Thanks for your help guys
Very generally speaking, yes. The higher the light, the greater the demand for CO2 and other nutrients.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome, where do you guys get 5lb co2 tanks from the paintball tanks are easier to come by around me but if I can find a larger one then I may pick it up

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 03:35 PM
Algae Grower

I picked up my tank at a welding supply store
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 06:46 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Awesome, where do you guys get 5lb co2 tanks from the paintball tanks are easier to come by around me but if I can find a larger one then I may pick it up
I have to disagree with some of the others here. I have two nano systems both running on separate GLA mini-ss paintball regulators and I couldn't be happier with them. I'm not at all a fan of visible equipment and so the 5lb tank was out of the question for me. Plus with the low bubble per second you will be needing you can most likely go for longer than most before needing a refill. I purchased 4 24oz paintball tanks and had them all filled at the same time. This way I'm able to alternate the tanks and reduce my trips to get them refilled.

Bump: Also if you wish for red growth be sure to dose Iron

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode