2 easy questions ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
2 easy questions ?

1.When a plant like thin broad leafed ludwigs lose all there leaves then resprout.Does that mean the leaves that were shed were grown emerged?
2. does java fern have to be tied down in order to root onto something or wil the roots naturally bind to something just be sitting on it without thread?
I lied here is #3
3. Glassy tips on my java fern means iron deficency?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 05:15 AM

I can help you with one of those questions. Java fern *can* attach itself without being tied down. However, you'd have to consider that the water current might hinder that, as well as you swishing the water around any time you're planting or trimming plants. The plant won't be able to attach itself if it is constantly being moved around.

I've read good things about using staples if you want to avoid the unsightly string. I just planted something else to hide the string, personally.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 11:42 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
1.When a plant like thin broad leafed ludwigs lose all there leaves then resprout.Does that mean the leaves that were shed were grown emerged?

Most likely if all the leaves dropped, damaged leaves through handling will also do that or even a plant that was left out of water or shipped without enough moisture will do that also. In any case as long as your plant is showing new growth it will recover fully.

3. Glassy tips on my java fern means iron deficency?

Not necessarily, I have found that they like water flow and nitrates. Higher Nitrate levels are the key to nice lush ferns ferns... your other plants will usually show an iron deficiency before the ferns will.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiz16
2. does java fern have to be tied down in order to root onto something or wil the roots naturally bind to something just be sitting on it without thread?
Another way to attach Java Fern without using string is to find a piece of driftwood that has some small crevices that you can place the Java Fern into and pour a small amount of gravel over the roots or cracks that you can slide the root portion of the Java Fern into.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the responses. Some of the ludwiga has grown back and some are just bare sticks with root shoots. How long would you give the "twigs" to show sings of new growth?
Also , how badly is light reduced when a glass or plexi canopy is used(instead of open top)?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
>>Also , how badly is light reduced when a glass or plexi canopy is used(instead of open top)?

All I can say is plexi (acrylic) is better as it distorts light less then glass. But I've used arylic and the heat from my CF bulbs always warped it. Don't have a cover anymore. Also the scale build up on mine greatly decreased light penetration.

If you can have your bulbs far enough from the acrylic not to warp it, it is better then glass.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 01:08 AM
Algae Grower

Hello-
What about the glassy tips on the leaves-does anyone have anymore to add? A couple of the new leaves on one of my Java Ferns is developing this condition.
Thanks!
Myalgae
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 01:24 AM

Myalgae,
What's the GH of your water? Could it be Calcium deff.?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 01:28 AM
Algae Grower

Gh=9, kh=3- I have just increased the kh to 4.5. Do you think this is the problem.
Thanks!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

My gh is 5 and my kh is 4
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 01:40 PM
2la

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myalgae
Hello-
What about the glassy tips on the leaves-does anyone have anymore to add? A couple of the new leaves on one of my Java Ferns is developing this condition.
Thanks!
Myalgae
This is normal. New Java fern leaves or portions of them can have a glassy look when the mesophyll (the layer between the upper and lower dermis) hasn't yet filled with gas through normal photosynthetic processes. When it does, the leaf will obtain normal opacity and coloration.

Regards,

2la

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode