A secret to preventing algae - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A secret to preventing algae

So this just occurred to me when I had a friend ask me how my aquarium is so clear and free of algae, and I thought I'd share it. I've been using high lighting in my planted tank for almost two months now, and just recently started using CO2 a little over a week ago, and have never had an issue other than when I first set the tank up. I think the secret might just be the purigen I am using in my HOB filters? The tank has been setup for about two years now, and during the first 6 months I did have issues with nitrate and algae, and ever since I started using the Purigen, I've never had an issue with excessive nitrates and/or algae. Anyone else have any similar experiences with this product?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 01:33 AM
Planted Member

I use this in my reef tank and it does the job pretty well.. in a planted tank it'd remove a lot of goodies for the plants, no?

In my experience algae can easily be prevented with correct dosing and CO2 if you have a high light planted tank, then again, I am happy it works out for you this way :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 01:47 AM
Algae Grower

Youve only had co2 for a week? I would wait a bit longer to see whether it's true or not

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk
Mikeygmzmg and Mikeygmzmg like this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

apparently it only removes waste, and does not have an effect on anything else.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Pics or it didn't happen.

Purigen will remove organic compounds before they are able to degrade into ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate etc but will not directly remove them. It is very safe to use in planted tanks.

I've run Purigen for YEARS and still seen algae. It's job is to polish water nicely, particularly useful with tannin staining (leaching driftwood), not prevent algae so much. Just so happens it does have a potential role to play in reducing algae levels in terms of 'capping' nutrient levels so they don't build due to nitrification etc in combination with your dosing schedule.

I wouldn't bet on Purigen being the one factor that prevented algae in your case though.. Many other variables at play also.

Last edited by Straight shooter; 03-02-2016 at 11:28 AM. Reason: edit
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 03:06 PM
s_s
Algae Grower

For the most part, algae comes and goes at random. The type of algae bloom you get is mostly random.

That said, we know of at least four factors that control algae:

1. Healthy plants produce allelopathic chemicals that are harmful to algae (and sometimes other plants).

2. Water high in humic acid (tannins) content creates conditions inhospitable to most algae (and most bacteria and many plants).

3. We also know that periods of low CO2 availability and high light are more beneficial to algae than plants.

4. We know that we can limit the position of some essential nutrients to the soil where plants (being complex organisms) have the ability to extract them and algae does not. Ferrous iron (Fe2+) is commonly cited as an example.

All common "systems" of keeping planted tanks use one or more of these methods directly or indirectly.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_s View Post
For the most part, algae comes and goes at random. The type of algae bloom you get is mostly random.

That said, we know of at least four factors that control algae:

1. Healthy plants produce allelopathic chemicals that are harmful to algae (and sometimes other plants).
It has never been demonstrated that aquatic plants produce allelopathic chemicals, nor has it been demonstrated that if they do, the chemicals are effective against any form of algae, let alone all of the species that annoy us.
Quote:
2. Water high in humic acid (tannins) content creates conditions inhospitable to most algae (and most bacteria and many plants).
I have never heard of this before. What is the source of this information?
Quote:

3. We also know that periods of low CO2 availability and high light are more beneficial to algae than plants.
I think it is more accurate to say that fluctuations in the CO2 concentration in the water from day to day can lead to BBA, one form of algae. High light encourages growth of both plants and algae.
Quote:

4. We know that we can limit the position of some essential nutrients to the soil where plants (being complex organisms) have the ability to extract them and algae does not. Ferrous iron (Fe2+) is commonly cited as an example.
Nutrients in the substrate can leach out into the water. Diana Walstad has said, as I recall, that nutrients are prevented from crossing the substrate/water boundary, but I have read that other experts disagree with this.
Quote:

All common "systems" of keeping planted tanks use one or more of these methods directly or indirectly.
Algae is rarely a serious problem with low light tanks. When you have medium and higher light, algae become a potential serious problem. Using adequate fertilizing and consistent CO2 concentration from day to day, along with very good regular maintenance will go a long way towards avoiding those problems.

Hoppy
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Tetra's algumin product uses the humic acid method.... so that one seems legit.
AWolf and AWolf like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Tetra's algumin product uses the humic acid method.... so that one seems legit.
For some reason Tetra Algumin is not available in the USA, as far as I can tell. It would be interesting to find out why.

Hoppy
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:09 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
If Purigen cured the algae problem it is most likely because there was too much organic waste to begin with, and the Purigen reduced it.
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
It has never been demonstrated that aquatic plants produce allelopathic chemicals, nor has it been demonstrated that if they do, the chemicals are effective against any form of algae, let alone all of the species that annoy us.I have never heard of this before. What is the source of this information?
So I decided to do some digging, and it appears there is a variety of research on exactly this topic.

Quote:
Allelopathy in aquatic environments may provide a competitive advantage to angiosperms, algae, or cyanobacteria in their interaction with other primary producers. Allelopathy can influence the competition between different photoautotrophs for resources and change the succession of species, for example, in phytoplankton communities. Field evidence and laboratory studies indicate that allelopathy occurs in all aquatic habitats (marine and freshwater), and that all primary producing organisms (cyanobacteria, micro- and macroalgae as well as angiosperms) are capable of producing and releasing allelopathically active compounds. Although allelopathy also includes positive (stimulating) interactions, the majority of studies describe the inhibitory activity of allelopathically active compounds. Different mechanisms operate depending on whether allelopathy takes place in the open water (pelagic zone) or is substrate associated (benthic habitats).
Study from above quote

Many of the papers I can't actually read though, since they're behind a paywall, but the abstracts seem to say that it's very real, and has been studied in aquatic environments.

Some of the research is 20+ years old it looks like.

http://rcin.org.pl/Content/47414/WA4...AH.pdf#page=19

Possible allelopathic effects of cyanotoxins, with reference to microcystin-LR, in aquatic ecosystems - Pflugmacher - 2002 - Environmental Toxicology - Wiley Online Library

Allelopathic Effects of Several Higher Aquatic Plants in Taihu Lake on Scenedesmus arcuatus Lemm.--?Rural Eco-environment?2001?03?

Some specifically look at algae inhibition.

ALLELOPATHIC EFFECTS OF SEVERAL AQUATIC PLANTS ON ALGAE--?Acta Hydrobiologica Sinica?1992?01?
Edward, Edward, s_s and 1 others like this.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A tank that's been set up for less than 2 months is still too new. The algae still hasn't had a chance to get a foothold yet. I strongly doubt it'll be the same case in 6 months.
flight50 and flight50 like this.

Tony

My

and my

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Allelopathy is real in aquatic plants but only has a very minor impact in our aquariums. Walstad confirmed this is true but did state that it only a small factor that isn't much cause for concern.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
For some reason Tetra Algumin is not available in the USA, as far as I can tell. It would be interesting to find out why.
As far as I can tell, Tetra Algumin contains the herbicide/algicide monolinuron, which is a chemical that hasn't been registered for use in the USA.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhylis View Post
As far as I can tell, Tetra Algumin contains the herbicide/algicide monolinuron, which is a chemical that hasn't been registered for use in the USA.
From http://datasheets.scbt.com/sds/WPNA/EN/sc-228613.pdf

This may be why it isn't sold here.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode