The Planted Tank Forum banner

background help

539 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Ariel301 
#1 ·
hi

i have been looking at many different tanks and I am wondering if someone can help me. it looks like there are a lot of people that have color changing backgrounds. they seem to look like sun sets or other random things.

i am thinking of getting into this hobby and i was going to order a blacked out background but now i dont know.

any help would be great!
Thanks.
Ron

#3 ·
There dozens upon dozens of options available...

You can buy the store bought backgrounds which typically have some sort of rock-scape, plants-scape, or some kind of marine setting pictured. You can also generally find a solid black or blue color with the store bought back grounds.

Some people use mirrors, while other use a crinkled black trash bag. I've also seen cork affixed to the back wall of the tank with moss growing on it.

My personal choice is to paint the backs of my tanks black. Obviously, if you chose to paint your back ground, the sky is the limit regarding color. Most folks chose either black, some shade of blue or green.

You could also venture down the path of the DIY 3-D back ground using foam and paint.

I hope I've helped and not further convoluted the situation for ya.

#6 ·
I use a black heavy-duty trash bag cut flat and to the size of the back of my tank, held on with duct tape. It's kind of *******, but from the front you can't tell. I've also painted tanks before, but didn't want to paint this one in case I ever sell it or change my mind on color.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.