Critique This Please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Critique This Please!

Hello Everyone-
I have a 75 gal tank with a trickle filter. JBJ lighting (2-65watt) 10,000K and (2-65watt) 6,500K bulbs for a total of 3.5 WPG. The substrate is pure Flourite. I keep the lights on 12 hours a day. Moderate plant load, small fish load. I have an automatic CO2 injection system that runs with the lights. I keep the pH at 6.4 during the day when the lights and CO2 is on. At night the pH goes up to 7.0. The water hardness is KH=2 degrees, GH=9degrees. Water temp=80 degrees. Plants are growing well but have developed some problems w/ brush algae. 25% water changes/week -fertilize with Flourish once per week. I know the trickle filter does not help keep the CO2 in the water but the plants are bubbling during the day. What would YOU change about this tank?

Thanks for your time!

MYALGAE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 10:48 PM
mpb
Planted Member

How old is the tank?
And what are the NO3, PO4 leves?

These are important factors that needed to be known before we can suggest anyting.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak
I would keep the pH stable first of all.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 11:01 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I would increase the kH to 4-5 degrees, and look into macro nutrients, NPK. In a high-light tank just adding Flourish once a week is probably not enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank is 2 months old the nitrates are 2.5 -5.0 max I dont know what the Phos levels are.
Thanks
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
For any algae problem phosphate levels are essential to know. Redsea and Seachem make accurate kits.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 11:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak
Maybe its still in its new planted tank syndrome? Where the first couple months algae is just there untill it finally goes away
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The .6 swing in the pH every day is not helping your fish or your tank. You should get your kH up to around the 4 level and and set your CO2 system to a pH of 6.6 to give you a constant CO2 level of right around 30 ppm. Also as has been stated knowing your phosphate level is crucial.

Take a few minutes and read my FAQ for the range your nutrients should be in.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Rex-
The pH change occurs when the CO2 shuts off. Are you suggesting that I run the CO2 even when the lights are off so that the pH stays at 6.6.
Thanks! Dave
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myalgae
Thanks Rex-
The pH change occurs when the CO2 shuts off. Are you suggesting that I run the CO2 even when the lights are off so that the pH stays at 6.6.
Thanks! Dave

That's exactly what I'm suggesting.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Rex
What do you think about just using the flourish- would you rec additional ferts.
myalgae
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Take a minute and read my FAQ. Flourish alone on a 3.5 wpg tank this size is going to lead to nothing but trouble in the long run. Flourish makes a good trace addition to a nutrient regimen on a tank this size but doesn't work as the only nutrient.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 02:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
IMO I would:

1) Up your kH to 4.
2) Lose the trickle filter as it will play havoc with your CO2/pH.

IME a stable pH has always helped eliminate a great deal of algae issues.

I used to run my tank CO2 for 10hrs a day (lights on) with a kH of 3 to keep the tank at 6.6. For the other 14hrs the CO2 was obviously off. I never saw any pH change. It would stay at 6.6 all through the night. For this to occur, I think it's critical to have no surface agitation.

Regards,
Robert

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay, as per your requests-
I have increased the KH to 4.5 (via baking soda). The nitrates =5 ppm, phos=.5 ppm. pH is 6.7 and the leaves are bubbling like they never have. I also have added some Kent Botanica nitrogen (enough to raise the nitrates to about 7.5 ppm) and Kent Botanica potassium (I added the amount rec on the bottle 7.5 mls). The store I went to did not have the Seachem stuff. Does anyone have any thoughts on how much potassium to add as I don't have a way to test potassium levels. I was also afraid to add any phosphates because I am afraid what the algae might do. The instructions on the nitrogen bottle is big into the NO3:phos ratio. Any thoughts on this? By the way this tank is 2-3 months old and I am not willing to part with the trickle filter -I have a 20 gal CO2 tank.
Thanks for your time Dave
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Recommended dosing for potassium is 20 ppm, and the only way to get there without breaking the bank is by dosing K2SO4. I only dose the potassium I get from dosing KNO3 and my tanks are doing fine. The one tank that I don't have to dose KNO3 into I do dose potassium at a level that equals about 5 ppm.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode