View Poll Results: Who Likes Duck Weed
Yes 11 57.89%
No 10 52.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Who Like Duck Weed

How many people like Duck Weed. I like it and ever since I took it out of a Clients Pond My algea bloom went away.

Darrell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Planted Member

I hate that stuff. It is so hard to erradicate. I finally managed to get it out of three of my four tanks. The last one is still giving me trouble. There must be a source of Duckweed that I still can't find in there.

For algae control I now just use Riccia. It grows just as fast as Duckweed and is easily removed. And, for a while, everybody wanted to buy that stuff. Win-win situation.

"Save me Jebus! And I don't even believe in Jebus!!!" Homer Simpson
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 10:46 PM

I found the best way to get rid of duckweeed. Hungry guppies...they devour the stuff. I got rid of my duckweed in my 90 gallon completely. I mean completely.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak
I like it but only for like ponds or tanks that I am not planning on having planted.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 10:58 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I both like it and dislike it. I like it in a natural setting, in a low light/low maintenance tank, where it makes your shy fishies more comfortable. Some fish do eat it...
I don't like it in a high-light tank, where it clogs up the entire water surface in short time, and kind of counters the point of having strong lighting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
My vote tipped the scale to the other side, muahahaha.

Anyways, I don't like that stuff. In my high light tank, it just grows too quickly. The shading that it does isn't so bad, but everytime that I put my hand into the tank, it comes back out covered in that stuff.

I prefer salvinia as a floating cover as it's a lot more manageable.

Eric

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
For being a biologist I can't stand duckweed...or moreso the people that can't use it responsibly in the aquarium trade. It should NEVER be flushed down the toilet or thrown in a sink. Similar to Azolla it is a nasty invasive that literally will choke out all the other native plant species in any body of water it gets a foothold in. Then you see a catastrophic effect where even the fish die because of lack of gas exchange. Bad...bad..stuff.

Re-boot!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 02:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
I don't know why people have a hard time getting rid of duckweed. I've had both duckweed and salvinia in my high light tank and sure it grew fast, but it was easily netted out. I removed it and never saw a speck of it again. I think diligence can go a long way.

Regards,
Robert

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 06:45 AM

Yeah, getting rid of duckweed ain't THAT bad. Anyway, frogbit owns duckweed.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

I think that duck weed is nice and it not that hard to remove. You just have to make sure that you get it all.

Darrell
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

I like duckweed for my fishes' benefit. From a biologist's standpoint (I've worked in biocontrol, where the general point is to undo someone's accidental importation with another importation), very little of the flora and fauna we use in our tanks is beyond reproach. Duckweed is probably some of the worst...but my imported carp sure do love it. Where I live, I think aquatic life should be more concerned with untreated ballast being dumped in the Great Lakes than with duckweed in the toilets--at least we treat our sewage!

I would not have introduced duckweed to my aquarium on purpose. I don't like it sticking to my hands and arms either.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode