Planting a 30-gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planting a 30-gallon tank

Hi, I'd like to plant my 30-gallon tropical community soon, this will be my first planted tank. I want to recreate a slope of plants going 3/4 down to the other side of the tank, with the rest (1/4) filled with carpet plants. These are the plants I'd like to include:
Elodea densa
Dwarf sagittaria
Alternanthera reineckii
Ammania gracilis
Glossostigma
Dwarf hairgrass
Hairgrass
Pygmy chain swordplant
Rotala rotundifolia
Ludwigia repens
Myriophyllum aquaticum
Limnophila sessiflora
I'll include an All-Glass triple-tube fluorescent strip light, with Hagen PowerGlo, LifeGlo2 and AquaGlo 30w lamps. I plan to include DIY Co2, with pH of 7.6 and dGH of 8 - 9. Substrate will be Eco-Complete, it looks really nice and I've heard it's one of the best plant substrates around (along with Onyx & Flourite).
So what do you guys think of my plan? I myself think it's alright - a good selection of plants, I think I'm gonna narrow the amount of specimens of fish, the tank is heavily stocked... I plan to just include 8+ neon tetras, 6+ cherry barbs, 4 platies and 8+ Amano shrimps.
Suggestions are all welcome. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 12:58 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Sounds like a good plan. Buy one (bunch) of each plant you are planning to include, there will be some which either will not grow or grow too much, and after a few weeks you just keep the ones that look best or that you like most.

Not sure about the cherry barbs... do(n't) they nibble on plants?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 01:06 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Hey Joe! (No Hendrix reference meant)

Sounds like quite a plan! You have a wide variety of plants selected. Some of the plants may be a little difficult for your first attempt, like the Ammania gracilis. Stick with the easier plants, and as your experience grows, replace them with the more difficult species.

I think you may need to narrow down your selection a bit. I would consider dwarf hairgrass or dwarf Sag, Myriophyllum aquaticum or Limnophilia sessiflora and choose between the L. repens, R. rotundifolia and the A. reineckii. I like to plant large stands of the same plant as opposed to several smaller groups of similar plants. To me, it give the impression of an aquascape, as opposed to a collection of plants. A more narrow pallate of plants can make it easier for the beginner to hone their aquascaping skills.

But thats just my opinion! It's your aquarium! It's your little piece of the world. Do whatever makes you happy with it.

Explain the lighting to me again. You have three 30w bulbs or is it three bulbs totaling 30w?

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Hmm... it seems I'll need to upgrade the tank size, 1) cuz I found out I can't find a good design for the 30-gal 2) I wanted a bigger tank anyway 3) I jus wanna keep all the plants! (starting from the hardier ones to the more delicate ones). Thanks for the help so far, keep 'em coming!
I meant three 30w lamps, making 90w for the whole tank. I want something like a 40+ gallon tank, more room to work with. I forgot some other stuff from the last post. I think I want bacopa caroliniana (they say it's hardy, looks great), and didiplis diandra. I've heard the latter plant is hard to keep... is this true? It looks so good... Anyway, I'll perform 20% water changes weekly like I always do, add Seachem Flourish - and if necessary, Flourish Iron - as directed on the bottle, and I'll change the Co2 ingredients every two weeks.
By the way, I can't get into QuickReply, I can't find the QuickReply Icons...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 07:17 AM

It's also always good to have a few otos around in a planted tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode