How long can plants stay in bucket? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long can plants stay in bucket?

I just received some plants from a fellow hobbyist but I don't have time to really plant them right now because of school and work so I just threw them into two buckets. How long can they last in there?

Eddie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 08:46 PM
Planted Member

I've had them sitting for 5 days with no problem. Once I had some Red E. Tenellus in a bowl for over a week, with no adverse reaction. Actually, it payed a dividend.
All the algae on them disappeared.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Really?!

My goodness... let me try with my algae infested plants... good idea!

Eheim Pimp Club Member #74

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I think they should be OK for a few days, I wouldn't go much longer than Djlen did.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Whenever I buy plants and don't have time to plant them right away, I just float them in the aquarium.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Eheim Classic 2213, community, heavily planted, 65W CF, 2x Hagen CO2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval 3 Plus, nothin' but shrimp & snails, 65W CF, Hagen CO2

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:56 PM

Me too. I just put them in the aquarium, even if they're still in their little pots.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:40 PM
Planted Member

One thing to look out for is that rotting leaves can cause otherwise healthy plants to rot away fairly rapidly. If you need to leave the plants in the bucket, clean off all rotting parts of the plants and make sure the water in the bucket is fresh and clean. If the water is at all discolored or smelling, then your plants are in trouble. Finally, whenever I need to store my plants for a while outside a tank, I put them right in front of the outflow of my airconditioner. The cold air will preserve the plants and slow down the decay process.

"Save me Jebus! And I don't even believe in Jebus!!!" Homer Simpson
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
I usually just leave any new plants that I receive floating on the surface of the tank for a few days, until I have time to plant them.

It really depends on the plant also. I did an experiment (more experience than a controlled experiment, lol) a short while back to see how long Riccia would survive in a bucket. Setup was really simplistic, with just a 5 gallon bucket that had around a gallon of water in it and all the Riccia that I didn't need (about 2 sandwich bags worth). The bucket was kept in my closet, which didn't get any light, other than when I'm rustling in there for clothing, and when the door is open. Over time, the riccia started getting thinner and less of a vibrant green, but lasted a long time nonetheless. Even after half a month later, the plant was still viable (replanted some of it in my tanks, and it grew back in).

Having said that, unless it's a weed, I wouldn't leave it in a bucket any longer than a week.

Eric

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:36 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
It will last longer if it gets air. When I send clippings to work with hubby, they do much better if I've let them float until he leaves for work on Monday than if I've closed them in an ice chest for 2 days.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'll bucket float anything for 3 days, things start to look bad after 5, though.

James

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode