"Mystery Snails", plants, and salt. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
"Mystery Snails", plants, and salt.

Hello All,

I just had a quick question about the Mystery Snail (as called by Petsmart). I have a pretty heavily planted 55, and was wondering if the snail would eat my plants.

Futhermore, I do add 1 tsp. of salt per gallon of water. Now, I remember as a kid what happens when you give snails some salt -- does the same hold true for these guys? (probably not as a dramatic death, but yeah).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Go to applesnail.net and find out the species of your snail. They have alot of pictures and forums full of helpful snail freaks Some eat plants...some only nibble. Pet stores are inconsistent with their labeling...a mystery snail could be any apple snail species. It could even be from a totally different group of snails, but usually they're apples.

If you like your plants, it's probably best to not gamble on an apple snail.

They can handle some salt if it's gradually introduced to their environment.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 08:58 PM

I had one of those beasts in my 10g tank. I don't recall him eating my live plants so much as plowing them all up. It's almost as if he was doing this intentionally to have more dead plant to feed on.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:43 PM

why are you adding salt to the water? is this a brackish tank? do you keep mollies?
if the answer is no, stop adding salt.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 02:12 PM

One mystery snail shouldn't damage your plants, as long as you provide it with other food..ie. zucchini, lettuce, spinach..etc. A bunch of mystery snails will slaughter your plants, particularly the ones that taste best to them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't know about one snail not being too bad...I got one and he ate everything in a few days, and that was when he was small.

I moved him to another tank and he's now about the size of a baseball. He eats ALOT, including a large chunk of pothos that had the misfortune to dangle into the tank. I've never seen or heard of anything that would eat pothos...if you get the wrong species like I did, Pomacea canaliculata, you will have a plant eating machine. They're significant crop pests in several parts of the world with rice being a favorite food, but they aren't picky!

Sooo....anyway, it's important to get the correct species.

They make great pets.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
why are you adding salt to the water? is this a brackish tank? do you keep mollies?
if the answer is no, stop adding salt.
I add salt for a variety of reasons. Yes, I do keep mollies and other live bearers, but its a basic community tank with tetras, gouramis, and some brackish fish.

I had no idea that mystery snails were apple snails. Those mofos get huge!

Thanks to all for their input. I greatly appreciate it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode