Has anyone mail ordered from this place? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Has anyone mail ordered from this place?

Hi-
Just wondering if anyone has mail-ordered from freshwateraquariumplants.com and what their experience was. I beleive they are in MN.
Thanks!
Myalgae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 12:59 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I've placed 1 order with this company. It took around 3 weeks for my order to ship. About a third of the order was filled with gorgeous, well-rooted plants. Another third wasn't filled at all, but I was given a refund. The last third of the order is why I won't shop with them again--stem plants where only a single stem was sent when the description indicated I was purchasing a bunch with several stems. They also tend to ignore email sent to them.

I've switched to aquariumplants.com and been very happy with them.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info!!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don Matakis is the owner, they interviewed him in TFH I believe it was a few months ago, at least from the article, his knowledge of plants was basic with seemingly "common wisdom" answers that really can't be treated as rules of thumb. I actually contacted this company in regards to a wholesale account and quite frankly, found the same problems with communication, lack of responses to emails.

I would recommend Aquabotanic if your wanting to buy plants online, Roberts knowledge is on a par with anyone I consider to be an expert, his plant guarantee speaks for itself and he is very active in promoting the hobby for the benefit of all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
opening soon
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Thanks Troy, Don is a hobbyist, just like any of us. I believe he runs his business from his home just like some of us. He used to buy plants from me occasionaly before he started his business just like some others here. He probably has a real job he has to give his time to. He is a nice guy, and I am sure he is not out to screw anyone or mislead anyone, and I have heard people say nice things about him.

Selling plants is not easy work! There is always a lot of things that can go wrong and there are now so many choices for people to buy their plants from, and people don't want to wait or be forgiving of mistakes: it is the nature of a competitive business. I recently had a customer change his order three times, the last time the day before it shipped. And then when I wasn't able to deliver part of the order til the following week, he cancelled the order. Its a TOUGH business!!! I am not defending them against what ...imp said, that doesn't sound right and sounds like a communication error or something...I don't know what! But he really is a nice guy.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 07:51 AM

personally i choose www.azgardens.com myself. They have superb selection and reasonable prices. I go for the selection though, way more species in one store than ive seen before. Ive only ordered once through them and everything except the baby tears looked real good. But of course baby tears are always hard to ship.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 08:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I second with observant_imp on aquariumplants.com. They are quick and reliable.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 02:16 PM

I have dealt with Don over the phone and found him to be very knowledgeable. His plants were great and prices good.I like the small bussiness attitude and personal attention that he gives you. Thumbs-up for me!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don is a great guy with a ton of knowledge to impart. We speak on a weekly basis on plants and trying new things. I am sure you will be happy with the plants you buy from him as i houve bought a few rare ones or traded before for something i wanted to try.
I even have sent customers to him before when i could not supply thier plants and they were happy with his quality and Quantity in follow up emails.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 03:29 PM

my problem with azgardens.com is that they'll substitute any plant they want if one you order isn't in stock. and I mean ANY plant....for example if you ordered, say, a banana plant...they might send you some bacopa. the two plants are nothing alike.
i'd rather get credited back on my mastercard and not get a substitution.
I also know a person who ordered some SAE's and several arrived dead. He was given store credit, but every time he's told them to use his credit on an order, they don't...so basically he got screwed.

aquariumplants.com however is great. i ordered some stems of micro sword, and they told me "we're outta the stems, but I can give you a few potted versions of it for the same price", which meant I got a deal...plus the potted ones were grow submerged, while the stems were emerged, so that saved me the acclimation period!
Plus I live close enough to them that I can have my plants sent 2-day USPS priority mail, which saves a bundle vs. overnight FedEx.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
my problem with azgardens.com is that they'll substitute any plant they want if one you order isn't in stock. and I mean ANY plant....for example if you ordered, say, a banana plant...they might send you some bacopa. the two plants are nothing alike.
I had the same problem with aquariumdriftwood.com, I ordered the Deluxe Decorator Kit #1 and although I received a couple of extras of the plants I was supposed to get, there were a few plants not on the list, and I didn't get a few I wanted. The pygmy chain swords and java fern they didn't send were part of the reason I ordered from them in the first place. The rotala indica was a nice surprise, though. The plants were all great and I loved the driftwood so overall not a bad experience.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 11:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Minnesota eh? I'll have to pay them a visit. They are in Faribault which is only an hour south of where I live.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 11:45 PM

The fact that Marc Russo from aquatic-store .com compliments a fellow competitor like Don is a great reason why I will try Marc on a future order. That's a stand up guy in my opinion. Wouldn't it be so nice if the whole world got along like that??
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rolo,
Give Don a call. He is usually there but better safe than sorry. He has a few rare plants not listed on the site in stock that he is growing out.

Thanks Oldfarmhouse!!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
The fact that Marc Russo from aquatic-store .com compliments a fellow competitor like Don is a great reason why I will try Marc on a future order. That's a stand up guy in my opinion. Wouldn't it be so nice if the whole world got along like that??
Gee, what am I chopped liver? Didn't I compliment him first!

Don actually called me to thank me for sticking up for him! So he has read this conversation! And it was FAMA not TFH!! Some of us dealers get along with each other and respect each other more than others, but Don is one guy I like, Vic at Aquarium Gardens is totally cool as well.

My point was that no matter who you are in this business you will always have some people hate you and some people love you. Just look at the Vendor review forum HERE. Almost every one of this forums own ADVERTISERS, myself included has had a negative post at one time or another. There is not one single online dealer of plants that has not had some negative feedback. Not one! Does that mean we are all bad? I hope not!

When I started there was maybe three online dealers of plants. Now I can name you at least 25. Some people have their favorites, some people bounce around to all of them.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode