CO2 Calculator Button for your Browser! *Revision 1* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
CO2 Calculator Button for your Browser! *Revision 1*

Revision: 1
----------------------------------------
  • Removed the "Nothing Entered" notifications.
  • Removed the second method -- vB's inserting random spaces into the [code][/code] tags and mucking up the code.
  • Removed "degrees" within the pH prompt
----------------------------------------

Hey guys. So far I've been going to web sites to calculate my KH and CO2 levels (well, the latter). Then I thought: "why not just have a calculator sitting in my browser?"

What it is

So, I spent an hour and a half or so this morning and made one! It works in Firefox/Mozilla and Internet Explorer (provided you have JavaScript enabled [which most of you should by default!]). I do not have Opera or any other browsers installed -- so I'd be interested in hearing whether or not it works in those. But everyone here is free to try it out.

It would be slightly more functional (e.g. the advice after the calculations would not be so vague) were it not for Internet Explorer's character limit. This script clocks in at just under the limit at 505 characters.

How to "Install" it

Go to this page and drag the solitary link there into your browser's toolbar. Voilą! Easy peasy. If IE or your browser tells you the link may not be safe, you can ignore it. You can trust me!

Feedback

Let me know what you guys think -- and leave some feedback! The calculations are based on the calculations lined out here at Chuck's page rather than the current trends in CO2 research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Hey that's pretty neat! I'll be using this alot. Thanks!

I don't think it needs to be specified that pH is in degrees. That confused me when I saw that and pH only comes in one form/unit anyway. How can I stop that window "nothing entered!!" from showing when I press cancle? And the "raise/lower/good CO2"? Jeez I'm picky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinAnderson
Let me know what you guys think -- and leave some feedback! The calculations are based on the calculations lined out here at Chuck's page rather than the current trends in CO2 research.
Even though that thread looks very complicated, all the math/chemistry there is EXACTLY the same used to find the current equation...except they made simple math/chemistry errors. All that post does is fix the mistakes. The 'correct' equation would have been the one being used all along. Since the error isn't too bad though it's nothing to turn the table.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

I can easily remove the "nothing entered" alerts. That would allow me to work on other portions.

You don't like the little recommendations at the bottom of the calculations? I thought they might be a nice "general" advice guide.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinAnderson
I can easily remove the "nothing entered" alerts. That would allow me to work on other portions.

You don't like the little recommendations at the bottom of the calculations? I thought they might be a nice "general" advice guide.
I use a different "proper" level of CO2 rather than Chucks calc. I didn't want to ask you to change your code just b/c of one person, and I'm sure others would definately appreciate the advice of their levels.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo
I use a different "proper" level of CO2 rather than Chucks calc. I didn't want to ask you to change your code just b/c of one person, and I'm sure others would definately appreciate the advice of their levels.
Alright, the first revision has been done. I think I agree with the "nothing entered" notifications getting the boot -- not really needed.

I'm keeping the advice in (as it's not really an inconvenience like the alerts were) and you do make sense.

As for the advice levels -- I'm not using Chuck's so much as a general guideline I think is safe. If the CO2 is between 15 and 30 ppm, then it will now tell them they're within good CO2 levels. If it's less than 15, or more than 30 up to 45, it tells them the CO2 level may need adjustment. And if it's above 45, I figured we could pretty much all agree that the CO2 level needs to be lowered (unless, of course, you haven't any fish).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You can go here http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm and download a Windows version of Chuck's nutrient calculator that includes CO2 levels.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

I wanted something easily accessable within my browser.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I'm always one button click away from Chuck's calculator.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode